|"Never stop fighting for what you believe in."|
| Sharpshooter (formerly)|
Overwatch second-in-command (formerly)
| Egyptian security forces (formerly)|
|Fareeha Amari (daughter)|
| Aysha Selim (English)
Marie Vincent (French)
- 1 Summary
- 2 Abilities
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Story
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Cosmetics
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Videos
- 9 Patch Notes History
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Ana's versatile arsenal allows her to affect heroes all over the battlefield. Her Biotic Rifle rounds and Biotic Grenades heal allies and damage or impair enemies; her sidearm tranquilizes key targets, and Nano Boost gives one of her comrades a considerable increase in power.
Ana is a mid to long-range Support sniper, capable of healing at any range while also maintaining a fair level of damage output. Her Biotic Grenade lets her amplify healing effects from not only her own healing darts but also from other Supports and environmental healing, such as Payloads and Health packs. She has a sidearm which will fire a Sleep Dart, which can render the enemy who's hit with it temporary useless unless someone wakes them up. Nano Boost is a supportive ultimate that is used to provide strong buffs to an ally, allowing them to deal more damage while taking less damage from the enemy. She can also be an anti-healer as her Biotic Grenade will prevent enemies hit by the blast from getting healed in any way, making her an outstanding support. Ana lacks all source of mobility and only has her sidearm to protect herself, making it easy for her to be outflanked by the flankers as well as other mobile heroes.
Weapons & Abilities
- Biotic Rifle : Ana's primary weapon. It carries ten rounds in a single clip and is able to affect both teams, healing allies for 75 HP and dealing 60 damage to enemies. It comes equipped with a scope which increases Ana's range at the sacrifice of vision of her surroundings. The rounds fired from the Biotic Rifle change behavior depending on the use of the scope. While unscoped, the darts are considered fast-moving projectiles. While scoped, the darts are considered hitscan.
- Ana's rifle is unique in that it deals its damage and heals in rapid segments, rather than all at once. As it deals 4 rapid segment within 1 shot, it is less effective against armored-heroes.
- The healing segments will continue to heal shortly after a teammate gets shot, allowing for one to fire in anticipation to damage and still heal.
- Even though it is a sniper-rifle weapon, it can't deal a critical shot.
- Sleep Dart : Ana's sidearm. It is her personal anti-flanker tool. Firing a single projectile that travels at high speeds, it will inflict the Sleep status effect on an enemy. While asleep, one cannot move, attack, or use abilities, and audio will sound lower-pitched and distorted. The effect lasts for five and a half seconds, but can be cut short by any amount of damage.
- Sleep Dart deals very little damage to the target.
- Sleep Dart is excellent at mitigating channeled ultimate abilities such as Genji's Dragonblade or Soldier: 76's Tactical Visor, and can make the work of large, mobile tanks who often attack snipers much harder.
- Ana must be in constant communication with her allies to get the most out of Sleep Dart. Any amount of damage, whether it be a stray bullet or an explosion, is enough to rouse one who is under Sleep Dart's effects.
- Biotic Grenade : The Biotic Grenade will heal reasonable health upon being cast, and during its four seconds of duration will increase the healing rate of any allies hit by the grenade by 50%. Meanwhile, the enemies hit by the grenade will be damaged and unable to receive healing for duration completely.
- The grenade is the only way for Ana to heal herself outside of health packs.
- The Biotic Grenade is a fantastic tool for healing heroes with large health pools. Under the increased healing, a critically injured tank will only require a few darts to get back into the fight.
- The grenade also serves well as an emergency burst heal for both allies and Ana herself, should an enemy flank them.
- The blast radius of the grenade is fairly small, so one should throw the grenade directly onto teammates as opposed to near them.
- Biotic Grenade is a strong ability to use in team fight, throwing directly to a group of enemies and allies alike will dramatically gain an upper hand.
- Nano Boost (Ultimate): Ana's Ultimate ability. Ana will temporarily embolden an ally, giving them 50% increased damage and immunity to 50% of all incoming damage for 8 seconds before it expires.
- Nano Boost can't be missed; It does ignores Genji's Deflect and D.Va's Defense Matrix.
- While under Nano Boost's effect, one's character model will glow either red or blue depending on affiliation to Ana.
- Nano Boost has the potential to make already deadly ultimate abilities even stronger, especially channeled ones such as Soldier: 76's Tactical Visor or Genji's Dragonblade.
- While Ana has reasonable to outstanding damage capabilities like other damage dealers, she is unable to deal any critical shots and suffers from low mobility. You must focus on healing your allies rather than playing like DPS-heroes; you can't act like them well on your own.
- Even Ana can provide more healing than other supports due to her fast fire-rate and Biotic Grenade. Playing her as a sole support will lead the enemy to prioritize you as the first target. So pairing with the other supports should be recommended.
- Ana is a sniper class, which is deadly at attacking the enemy from extreme range. You can kite the enemy that your teammates can't attack back like rivaled snipers or airborne targets with ease. Keep in mind that you can't deal a critical shot nor heavy damage that will put them in lethal levels instantly, so try to stay in cover or a friendly's barrier.
- Biotic Grenade is a strong counter to all healing effects; such as Roadhog's Take a Breather, Zenyatta's Transcendence or even an opposing Ana's Biotic Grenade. You can throw the grenade directly to the enemy and contact your teammates to gang up on the effected target as they can't be healed.
- Missing a Sleep Dart to flankers will result in your disadvantage. Try to practice your aim and adjusting the dart's speed.
- Ana has a combo on her own with Sleep Dart. If you can hit the enemy with Sleep Dart, shoot the enemy with dart and throw a Biotic Grenade and then melee attack. Even if the enemy survives, you will have an upper hand in any subsequent match.
- A target under the effect from Sleep Dart will be rendered useless and unable to make any actions. If your combo can't finish the target, communicate your team to do so. Reinhardt's Charge is a great choice to finish the target if he doesn't need to cover your team with barrier at that time.
- Don't let the other teammates interfere in your line-of-sight while activating Nano Boost on the target. You have to communicate with your teammates to whom you will give the ultimate and always have space in your line-of-sight, so you can avoid giving Nano Boost to a wrong target that can't bring your ultimate to any usefulness, such as Lúcio or Mercy.
- The common targets for your Nano Boost should be damage dealers rather than tanks. While boosting tanks will give them a better chance of surviving and greatly increase their damage, you will force them to move out of their position to attack the enemy, in order to not waste the damage buff gains from Nano Boost.
- Even though the Nano Boosted-hero will take less damage by 50%, the effected hero can still die if the enemies are focusing on the boosted-hero. Try to heal the boosted-hero continuously, so that they won't die in the most important engagement.
- As Ana can both heal allies and damage enemies, along with Biotic Grenade's amplifying healing; she can gain the ultimate charge quickly, so you can use the Nano Boost on your target to push or to defend depending on the situations much faster than other healers.
|“||Everyone must find their cause.||„|
|~ Ana Amari|
One of the founding members of Overwatch, Ana uses her skills and expertise to defend her home and the people she cares for. Hailing from a long line of decorated soldiers, Ana inspired confidence and loyalty in her colleagues and endowed her daughter, Fareeha Amari — Pharah, with an intense sense of duty and honor. Like her daughter, she bore a tattoo of an Eye of Horus as a symbol of protection.
Ana is regarded as one of the world's deadliest snipers. She originally used a Kinamura rifle, upon which she added a notch for every life she took. Each life weighed heavily on her conscience, and while some snipers preferred to wound targets, in order to lure out more potential targets, she preferred to perform clean kills, disliking causing needless suffering. Her right eye, originally cybernetic, made her vision six times greater than normal, to the extent where she rarely even needed to use the scope.
As the Omnic Crisis inflicted a heavy toll on Egypt, the country's depleted and undermanned security forces relied on elite snipers for support. Among them was Ana Amari, who was widely considered to be the world's best. Her superior marksmanship, decision-making, and instincts made her a natural selection to join the Overwatch strike team, of which she was one of the founding members. Overwatch successfully ended the war. At some point in time, she met the wife of fellow agent Gérard Lacroix, Amélie Lacroix. Two weeks after Amélie was rescued by Overwatch from being kidnapped, Gérard was killed and Amélie was believed to have been kidnapped once again.
Following the success of Overwatch's original mission, Ana served for many years as Strike Commander Jack Morrison's second-in-command. She raised her daughter, Fareeha, during this time, instructing her in martial arts. Despite her responsibilities in leading the organization, Ana refused to step away from combat operations. She was aware of her daughter's desire to join Overwatch herself, but Ana was against it. This led to a strained relationship between mother and daughter. She remained on active duty well into her fifties.
Ana's last mission was an anti-Talon operation conducted by Overwatch, part of a force led by Jack Morrison which rescued a number of scientists that Talon had taken hostage. While Overwatch was successful in this regard, the Talon operative known as Widowmaker was able to take out a number of agents. The operation led to a sniper duel between her and Ana, as they made their way throughout the urban terrain. Ana was able to temporarily incapacitate Widowmaker, hitting her in her helmet. But upon seeing Widowmaker's face, she froze, recognizing her as Amélie. It was all the time Widowmaker needed to take her own shot, shooting Ana through the scope of her rifle and into her right eye. It was believed that the shot killed her.
In truth, Ana survived that encounter, despite being gravely wounded and losing the eye. The world believed that she was dead. During her recovery, she wrestled with the weight of a life spent in combat, and she chose to stay out of the world's growing conflicts. However, as time passed, she realized she could not sit on the sidelines while people threatened her city and the innocents around her. Thus, Ana rejoined the fight to protect her country from the forces that would destabilize it, and most importantly, to keep her family and her closest allies safe. She wrote a letter to her daughter, explaining her absence.
|“||I don't care about your war, but I do care about you. You need me, Jack. You need someone to watch your back.||„|
|~ Ana to Jack Morrison|
Disguised as a masked bounty hunter, Ana sabotaged several Talon operations in Egypt, drawing attention from Reaper and his associate Hakim, as well as Jack Morrison. The conflict came to a head when Ana and Morrison were lured into a trap at Hakim's compound in Giza, leading to a battle between the three former comrades. Though Ana sided with Jack and forced Reaper to retreat after unmasking him, she was disturbed by his visage and parting words, reminding her that Overwatch had been responsible for their suffering. Following the encounter Ana explained that she cared about Jack, not the war he was fighting, and resolved to watch over him as the two departed.
|Interrupt an enemy Ultimate Ability with Ana's Sleep Dart in Quick or Competitive play.|
|Get 4 kills or assists with a single use of Ana's Nano Boost in Quick or Competitive play.|
- Ana's story draws parallels with the story of Horus from Egyptian mythology. During an altercation with a former friend (in this case, Widowmaker), she lost her eye. Additionally, both her and Pharah possess an eye of Horus tattoo.
- Her voice actress is an Egyptian woman who was recorded from Cairo. The voice actress's name, Aysha Selim, was not revealed until September 29, 2016 in a reply on the official forums.
- Ana was added to the PTR on July 12, 2016. She was added to the live PC version of the game on July 19, 2016.
Ana was the first hero added to the game after its launch. Her development grew from a prototype support character called the Alchemist, who could heal allies and damage enemies by throwing potion vials. When it was decided that Ana Amari would be a playable character, the team took to the idea of her being a support sniper in order to distinguish her from Widowmaker and incorporated elements of the Alchemist's kit into her design, building upon the biotic technology used by Mercy and Soldier: 76. Prior to being revealed, it was widely speculated that Ana and Sombra were the same character, resulting from the photographs of her Shrike mask being misidentified as Sombra.
Several PR assets on Blizzard's press center website for Ana are labeled "Shrike" instead of "Ana", suggesting that her placeholder name during development was Shrike. The name Shrike was used for one of her epic skins, in which she wears a mask previously seen in pre-release easter eggs.
Ana was teased on Temple of Anubis, with an opened document picturing her wearing her Shrike mask. Her scope could be seen being worked on in a GameSpot video. Also in the video was an early prototype with a modified Widowmaker model seen in the character selection screen, in the support section.
Patch Notes History
For more information, see Patch Notes
January 24th, 2017
- Hero Balance Update
- Biotic Grenade
- Effect duration has been reduced from 5 seconds to 4 seconds
- Healing boost on allies has been decreased by 50%
- Developer Comments
- The healing boost from Ana’s Biotic Grenade was providing too much healing, especially when used on targets with large health pools.
November 30th, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug that prevented Ana from being selected in 1v1 matches
November 15th, 2016
- Hero Balance Change;
- Dealing damage to things other than players (like Torbjörn's turret or Symmetra's teleporter) no longer charges ultimate abilities
- Ultimate costs have been increased by 25% for all heroes
- Developer Comment
- Game-changing ultimate abilities were coming up a bit too frequently. This change helps keep them in check while still allowing them to be powerful.
- Nano Boost
- No longer increases move speed
- Developer Comment
- The increased speed from Ana’s Nano Boost made the ability feel unstoppable and forced Ana players to select targets that could really take advantage of the speed boost. Removing the speed boost means that Ana has a reason to apply Nano Boost to a larger variety of heroes, and enemies can fend off the attack more easily.
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug that prevented Ana’s healing stats from showing up in the Career Profile page
- Fixed a bug that prevented Ana’s custom crosshairs from displaying while zoomed
October 19th, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed an issue preventing Ana’s Nano Boost callouts from being heard by the enemy team
October 11th, 2016
- General Update
- Heroes hit by Ana's Nano Boost have a new voice line that informs other players
- Hero Balance Updates
- Nano Boost
- Ultimate cost has been increased by 20%
- Biotic Grenade
- Radius has been increased from 3 to 4 meters
- Developer Comments
- So far, we haven't seen any indication that Ana is too strong overall, but her ultimate charges a little too fast, especially considering the impact it can have on a match. Also, her Biotic Grenades are getting a small boost to help her hit multiple targets.
September 30th, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug that allowed the payload to heal players, even when they were negatively affected by Ana’s Biotic Grenade
- Fixed a bug preventing the health bars on the Practice Range bots from displaying the effects of Ana’s Biotic Grenade
- Smoothed the animation during Ana’s zoom-release transition
September 1st, 2016
- General Updates
- When activating the "Needs healing" communication while targeting a teammate, Ana, Lúcio, Mercy, and Zenyatta will now tell allies to group up to receive healing. A marker will also appear above the player's head, allowing teammates to locate the healer more quickly
- Bug Fixes;
- Fixed a bug in the Custom Game settings preventing the Ability Cooldown modifier from affecting Ana
- Appropriate sound effects now play when Ana shoots barriers, shields, and armor
- Ana’s scope now correctly displays all custom reticle options
- Ana’s attacks and abilities now activate the controller’s rumble function
August 2, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug that was affecting the majority of Ana’s “Most in Game” career statistics
- Fixed a bug that caused Ana’s Biotic Grenade to miss an allied Reaper while in Wraith Form
- Fixed an issue hindering Ana from restoring allies to full health
July 26, 2016
- Hero Balance Updates
- Biotic Rifle
- Rate of fire increased by 20%
- Magazine size increased from 8 to 10
- Developer Comments
- While Ana has been very well received, she was showing to be a little bit weaker overall. In addition to helping her feel better to play, these changes should also increase her healing and damage output.
- Bug Fixes;
- Targets of Ana’s Sleep Dart will no longer instantly recover when damaged (recovery time is now 0.5 seconds)
July 21, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- The correct hit pip sound will now play whenever one of Ana’s darts impact with a barrier
- All of Ana’s in-game sounds now have proper occlusion
July 19, 2016
- Patch Features
New Hero: Ana (Support)
After being out of the fight for several years, one of Overwatch's founding members is returning. Introducing Ana — a battle-scarred veteran who supports her teammates from a distance using a unique and highly specialized collection of weapons.
Ana’s primary weapon is her Biotic Rifle, which fires long-range darts that can restore the health of her allies or deal ongoing damage to her enemies. Meanwhile, her Biotic Grenade is perfect for a close-quarters clash, simultaneously healing teammates and injuring foes caught in its small area of effect. (Affected allies will also receive a temporary increase to all incoming healing, while affected enemies can’t be healed for a few moments.) And if the battle starts to get out of hand, Ana's sidearm can fire a Sleep Dart, knocking her adversaries unconscious.
Plus, Ana's ultimate ability, Nano Boost, empowers one of her teammates, granting faster movement, increased damage, and resistance to enemy attacks.
To learn more about Ana, click here.
- General Updates
- Added Ana as an AI-controlled hero in Practice vs. AI, Play vs. AI, and Custom Game modes
- Insert footnote text here
- Ana, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2016-07-12
- Pharah Quotes
- Pharah, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2016-05-22
- Pharah: Mission Statement
- Ana: Legacy
- 2015-05-24, Overwatch is Back: Uncertainty and Hope After UN Confirms Vigilante Activity. Blizzard Entertainment., accessed on 2016-5-25
- Ana: Legacy
- Ana Origin Story
- Ana: Old Soldiers
- 2016-07-13, BLIZZARD HIRED EGYPTIAN ACTRESS TO VOICE ANA IN OVERWATCH. IGN, accessed on 2016-08-11
- 2016-09-29, "We were extremely fortunate to work with a very talented Egyptian actress named Aysha Selim on the voice of Ana (who we recorded all the way from Cairo!)" Michael Chu. Battle.net forums, accessed on 2016-09-29
- 2016-07-12, OVERWATCH PTR NOW AVAILABLE - JULY 12, 2016 Playoverwatch, accessed on 2016-11-06
- 2016-07-19, [PC Overwatch Patch Notes – July 19, 2016] Battle.net forums, accessed on 2016-11-06
- 2016-05-19, Fans believe a new Overwatch hero called Sombra could be unveiled on Monday. Eurogamer, accessed on 2016-08-11
- 2016-07-06, Blizzard releases major hint about Overwatch’s next character (update). Polygon, accessed on 2016-08-11
- 2016-07-06, Overwatch Is Still Hiding Lots of Clues About A Mysterious Character. Kotaku, accessed on 2016-08-11
- Overwatch Games Press, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2016-08-11
- Documents depicting Ana wearing her Shrike mask. Temple of Anubis.
- 2016-04-21, The Story of Overwatch: The Fall of Titan, 00:09 Youtube. Accessed on 2016-07-10
- 2016-04-21, The Story of Overwatch: The Fall of Titan, 15:25 Youtube. Accessed on 2016-07-10
| Heroes in Overwatch|