|"Justice will be done."|
| Crusaders (formerly)
| Darin De Paul (English)
Patrice Mellenec (French)
|See This Hero On OverPwn|
- 1 Summary
- 2 Abilities
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Hero Match-ups
- 5 Story
- 6 Achievements
- 7 Cosmetics
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Videos
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Reinhardt is a powerful Tank. His iconic ability Barrier Field allows him to shield allies and defend objectives, while his melee Rocket Hammer makes him a threat at close range. Charge allows him to charge and pin enemies, further enabling him to push and harass the front line.
- Reinhardt is a durable tank, using his Barrier Field to provide cover for teammates.
- The Rocket Hammer swings through all enemies in front of Reinhardt.
- Use Fire Strike to damage enemies at range.
Reinhardt is the sturdiest of the Tanks, boasting high base Health and a massive barrier that allows him to protect his team from harm. While largely defense-oriented, Reinhardt can be a deadly offensive threat as well thanks to the high damage of his Rocket Hammer and ability to crush enemies against a wall with Charge. The price he pays for all of this is that he is almost solely restricted to fighting at short range, having only a single, infrequent ranged attack.
Weapons & Abilities
- Rocket Hammer: Reinhardt's primary weapon. Pressing the primary fire button causes Reinhardt to swing the hammer, dealing damage to all enemies in a cone in front of Reinhardt.
- The damage from this hammer is significant, so don't be afraid to start swinging when close to an enemy. Look for opportunities where you can hit more than one enemy with the Rocket Hammer to maximize its effectiveness.
- Although this is a melee weapon, the range is greater than a normal quick melee attack. Reinhardt does not have a normal quick melee attack like other heroes.
- Rocket Hammer is strong enough to knock enemies back depending on which direction the hammer is being swung. This can be used to cause environmental kills.
- Barrier Field: The Barrier Field is a powerful, rectangular barrier that Reinhardt carries like a shield, blocking most projectiles and bullets that hit it. It can be activated by pressing and holding down the secondary fire button. The barrier has its own separate Health pool, and Barrier Field is disabled if the barrier's Health drops to 0. Reinhardt will regenerate lost barrier Health after a few seconds of not activating Barrier Field.
- Use Barrier Field to block incoming attacks from your opponents. This is especially helpful for your team, as you can use Barrier Field to let them move through a contested area without taking damage. Try to always stay at the front to keep your team safe.
- Keep an eye on your barrier Health. If you start to get low, look for a place to take cover so that you can let your barrier Health regenerate.
- Since Barrier Field only blocks attacks from one direction, be cautious of attacks from above or behind.
- Charge: When activated, Reinhardt will use rocket boosters to propel himself forwards. He gains significant speed, but loses most of his ability to turn. Reinhardt will stop his charge after a period of time or when he collides with a solid surface, whichever comes first. The first enemy Reinhardt collides with during his charge will become "pinned" to Reinhardt, and will be dealt heavy damage if Reinhardt then impacts a solid surface. All other enemies will be knocked away from him. Stuns, such as those from Roadhog or McCree, will immediately end Charge.
- While it may be tempting to use Charge to leap into battle, Reinhardt cannot turn well while charging, making it easy for enemies to avoid it. It's best to use Charge at short or medium range, where enemies have less time to respond.
- Charge has a relatively short cooldown and can be used to get closer to the fight after spawning.
- Crushing a pinned target against a wall will deal massive damage, enough to kill almost any non-Tank instantly.
- Watch your aim! On certain maps, it's very easy to Charge straight into an open pit, as Reinhardt has no way to stop his Charge early short of hitting a wall. Charge also automatically destroys fences without stopping.
- Fire Strike: When activated, Reinhardt will hurl a flaming projectile forwards that deals decent damage to any enemy it hits. This projectile passes through enemies and barriers, meaning that a single projectile can hit multiple opponents. It stops upon impacting a solid surface.
- Fire Strike is Reinhardt's only ranged attack. It's useful for hurling down choke points to deter enemies from coming through, as well as for hitting distant, stationary targets like Bastion.
- While it's easy to think of this as only being a ranged ability, Fire Strike deals a lot of damage no matter the range it's used at. Don't forget to use it in melee engagements as well.
- Reinhardt can use Fire Strike to "animation cancel" his Rocket Hammer swing. As soon as the Hammer impacts an enemy, use Fire Strike to deal fast burst damage to a target. This is useful against evasive targets like Tracer, where you may only have a limited opportunity to hit them.
- Earthshatter (Ultimate): Reinhardt's Ultimate ability. When activated, Reinhardt slams his hammer into the ground, creating a cone of force that damages and stuns enemies who are hit by it. This ability respects line of sight, so anyone Reinhardt can't see is not affected by it.
- A simple but devastatingly powerful Ultimate when used correctly. An enemy who is stunned cannot perform any action, leaving them helpless and easy to kill.
- Look to hit as many targets as you can with Earthshatter, as it can easily turn a fight in favor of your allies. Stunned enemies are an easy target for your area-of-effect attacks, and may also set them up for a potent Charge for future displacement.
- Try to use Earthshatter in an area without much cover, as enemies can duck out of sight of you and completely avoid Earthshatter otherwise.
- Earthshatter has a small amount of vertical height. Jumping enemies can still be hit by it.
- If Reinhardt is knocked into the air when activating Earthshatter, he will not use it until after he lands.
- Be careful when using Earthshatter on tanks, as it will not pass through barriers like that of Zarya, Winston or even other Reinhardts.
- Reinhardt is incredibly hardy, able to absorb the most damage out of any of the Tanks, but suffers from being mostly restricted to melee attacks. As a result, Reinhardt works best as a team player. Stay at the front of your team and use your Barrier Field to absorb incoming attacks as you approach your opponents, allowing your team to move safely through an area and fire back without taking damage. Try to move between points of cover using Barrier Field instead of walking straight towards your enemies. Reinhardt may be tough, but he's not invincible.
- One of Reinhardt's strengths is that he protects high damage-output teammates. If your team is composed mostly of flankers, Reinhardt might be less effective, as flankers generally do not wish to stand behind Reinhardt's shield.
- Using Charge properly can be a challenge. In general, look for targets that are near corners or walls who are distracted by your team. Tanks like Winston and Roadhog are prime targets, as they are easier to hit with Charge due to their larger hitboxes. Charge will only pin enemies who are more-or-less directly in front of Reinhardt, so don't be surprised if you simply sail on by a jumping enemy. Remember, the closer you are to your enemy when you charge, the less time they have to get out of the way.
- Try to avoid charging in a direction that will lead you deep into enemy territory, as that will leave you alone and flanked.
- Reinhardt's shield is a powerful defense, but remember that any enemy can simply walk right through it. When shielding, try to always keep a few meters between you and enemies.
- Reinhardt's defense depends on all enemies being in roughly one direction. Always keep your eyes open for flankers.
- Reinhardt's shield is very effective against certain ultimates such as Graviton Surge, Deadeye, or Self Destruct, while being highly ineffective against others such as Blizzard, Dragonblade or Rip Tire. His shield can protect your team from much of the damage from Barrage, but he will most likely die in the process.
- Earthshatter is most effective when used as a combo. A common Earthshatter combo is to use Earthshatter followed up by a Fire Strike, with Rocket Hammer attacks or a Charge to finish off anyone who survives. Remember that Fire Strike can hit multiple enemies when used; aim it so that it hits as many stunned enemies as possible. Make sure that all of your cooldowns are done when using Earthshatter.
- Reinhardt works well when paired with Bastion or marginally Torbjörn, as he can protect their stationary defenses with his shield.
- Reinhardt works extremely well in any kind of situation, as he can defensively protect his team's assets with Barrier Field and aggressively cause havoc among his enemies using Charge.
VS. : Genji can slip past the barrier and cause trouble for Reinhardt at extreme ranges, flinging shirukens to chip away his health and distract him. However, a 1-on-1 fight will usually tip in Reinhardt's favor, with his high durability outclassing Genji's mediocre damage and rendering his Deflect mostly useless due to how infrequent Fire Strike is used. Even with Dragonblade active Reinhardt will usually defeat Genji in single combat if he is anywhere near full health if he times his swings well.
VS. : A smart McCree is capable of angling his Flashbang so that it arcs over the Barrier and flashes Reinhardt, causing him to drop his shield. However, Fan the Hammer is less effective against Reinhardt due to his high amount of armor, and Reinhardt can smack McCree about with his hammer should the latter be alone. Note that McCree can be dangerous to Reinhardt at long range.
VS. : Pharah can be an excellent distraction if Reinhardt is guarding his team as she is more than capable of getting behind them with her jetpack. Her high-damage rockets will disrupt him and force him to either drop his shield or die. Reinhardt has virtually no defense against an airborne Pharah, with the Fire Strike being a largely ineffective response that won't even be able to kill Pharah should she be at full health.
VS. : Reaper can easily slip behind Reinhardt and unload into him at close range, and has a reliable escape in Wraith Form should the need arise. However, his necessity to get into close range makes him an easy target for Charge, which will kill him instantly.
VS. : Reinhardt can soak up a lot of damage from 76 and is capable of completely stopping his Tactical Visor cold using Barrier Field. However, Soldier: 76 still stands a chance against him in close-medium range skirmishes, especially with his new buffs.
VS. : Tracer is highly disruptive to Reinhardt. She can blink behind the shield, and rapidly unload her pistols into Reinhardt's large hitbox. Pulse Bomb can bring you down to 105 health, leaving him in a critical condition. 2 blows from the Rocket Hammer is enough to kill Tracer if she does not have Recall, and can be easily landed; consider doing so when needed.
VS. : Sombra can deal large amounts of damage to Reinhardt that only gets worse once his armor is gone. However she has to get close to Reinhardt to maximize this, almost bringing her within his reach. Sombra's Hack can force Reinhardt to drop Barrier Field and leave his team open, but Sombra cannot hack through Barrier Field itself and if Reinhardt is fast enough he can raise it while Sombra is trying to hack him and interrupt her.
VS. : Bastion's extreme DPS is more than capable of ripping the barrier to shreds, or at least leaving it in a critical condition. However, while immobile in Configuration: Sentry, Bastion is a prime target for a Fire Strike, which will cut off all of its armor. It is also much less of a threat in Configuration: Recon too. If Reinhardt can catch Bastion unaware with Charge, this will force him out of sentry mode, even if Reinhardt can't smash him against a wall.
VS. : Hanzo's arrows will be stopped cold by Reinhardt's barrier, but his Scatter Arrow can be used to deal damage to Reinhardt while his barrier is active. His Sonic Arrow is also an exceptional tool for warning his allies about any pushes Reinhardt and his allies may be attempting, as teammates often tend to gather behind Reinhardt for protection.
VS. : Junkrat can put out a significant amount of damage onto the barrier, and his Concussion Mine is a good tool to use for disrupting Reinhardt if thrown over the barrier. However, his Steel Trap isn't particularly effective against Reinhardt, who may still use his barrier to protect against incoming attacks, but the trap can stop the mighty Crusader mid-charge.
VS. : Mei deals little damage to both the barrier and Reinhardt (who is capable of absorbing multiple headshots from her, even while frozen), and her Ice Wall often just gives Reinhardt the opportunity to lower his barrier to recharge it. Be careful about being separated from your team by Ice Wall as it allows Reinhardt along with his team to be picked off. Also, hitting Mei in Ice Block form stops Reinhardt's charge.
VS. : Torbjörn's turret deals little damage to Reinhardt's barrier, even with a Molten Core upgrade and supporting damage from Torbjörn himself. The turret's immobility makes it vulnerable to a Fire Strike, which will cut off a whole third of its health. Be more careful with dealing with Torbjörn himself, as he can effectively deal damage at all ranges when Reinhardt's barrier is down.
VS. : Widowmaker's shots are stopped cold by Reinhardt's barrier, and with no critical points to strike she can only deal minimal damage to it. However she has the potential to flank behind the shield and pick off teammates, leaving Reinhardt vulnerable.
VS. : D.Va can put a lot of continuous pressure onto the barrier, her mobility allows her to run circles around Reinhardt if the two are alone or simply outdamage him with superior DPS. However, her large hitbox makes her a prime target for Charge, and a successful pin will cripple her, allowing the mech to be eliminated easily. D.Va in Pilot form is also no match for Reinhardt's Hammer, being killed in 2 hits with no sustain or mobility.
Reinhardt's barrier can block her Ultimate, taking a significant amount of damage in the process; do not be afraid to do so as it can prevent important members of your team from being killed, or even prevent a multikill/team wipe from happening.
VS. : It is not uncommon to find two Reinhardts on either team, especially staring each other down, protecting their teams from each other. Killing a Reinhardt as a Reinhardt ultimately comes down to mind games; get your team to focus down the enemy Reinhardt, throw Fire Strikes at him, and if there's a safe opportunity to hit him with a Charge, do it immediately. You will always beat him if he has no support from his team. Try to anticipate the enemy Reinhardt's charge and dodge it or charge into it. Try to keep open areas at your back, as a charging enemy Reinhardt will have to travel farther from their team before they pin you.
VS. : Roadhog cannot throw his hook through Reinhardt's barrier, but if he can somehow wind up behind him, he's more than capable of completely throwing Reinhardt out of position and dealing massive damage to him. Roadhog's high damage allows him also to quickly break Reinhardt's barrier, leaving him and his team vulnerable.
VS. : Winston can do very little to Reinhardt; while his electricity does pierce the barrier, Reinhardt's high amount of armor, barrier-piercing Fire Strike and Winston's vulnerability to Charge makes him nothing more than a nuisance to Reinhardt. Winston's barrier-piercing attacks can be a problem when shielding allies, however; he can hit everyone behind the barrier, including most low health characters which are vulnerable.
VS. : With enough charge, Zarya can deal a lot of damage to Reinhardt's barrier or Reinhardt himself with her primary fire. She is capable of withstanding an impact from Charge and, provided she has her Personal Barrier ready, can reap a lot of charge off the following hammer swings or the charge pin itself. Those she gives barriers to cannot be damaged by the Fire Strike or Charge, either.
As Reinhardt, be wary about charging enemies when an enemy Zarya is present as with quick reflexes she can project a barrier onto his victims, nullifying Charge's damage and spiking her energy charge immensely.
Try to block her secondary fire with your shield, as they do not deal as much damage as her primary, and leave her to your teammates. If really needed, charge her before she can react.
VS. : All of Ana's attacks are blocked by the barrier; rounds from her Biotic Rifle, her Sleep Dart, the Biotic Grenade, you name it. However, being hit yourself with the Sleep Dart can leave your team in a critical situation.
VS. : Lúcio's peashooter deals very little damage to the barrier, however his area heal effect, especially with Amp It Up, can negate quite a portion of the damage done by Reinhardt. Do not be afraid to keep your shield up, and use Fire Strike to weaken Lúcio so your teammates can finish him off. Be careful when shielding allies near environmental hazards as this allows Lúcio to push you and everyone else off easily.
VS. : As Reinhardt, killing Mercy should be a priority for more mobile heroes on your team than you yourself. However, he does have tools that can force her to retreat when used correctly, such as landing a Fire Strike to take away 100 HP, or in a situation where she's alone; use Charge to guarantee her elimination, especially if she has a Resurrect in tow.
VS. : Symmetra's energy balls can pierce through Reinhardt's barrier and deal respectable damage to him and any teammates hit by the orb too. Her turrets can cause a lot of problems for Reinhardt if he's focusing on defending his allies. Reinhardt can however clear out turrets easily, with high health to withstand attacks and a melee attack that can strike multiple turrets at once.
VS. : While Zenyatta cannot cast his Discord Orb through the barrier, anyone afflicted with the Orb will still suffer its effects. This includes Reinhardt himself, who will find the Discord Orb to be a great hinderace. When Reinhardt's barrier is down, Zenyatta can also use long range attacks and Discord Orb to deal heavy damage to Reinhardt, though at close range he is defeated easily.
Reinhardt Wilhelm styles himself as a champion of a bygone age, who lives by the knightly codes of valor, justice, and courage. Possessing an "active imagination," he enjoys eating currywurst, and is a fan of David Hasselhoff's music.
Over thirty years ago, Overwatch was founded to counter the threat of the robot uprisings around the world. Reinhardt, a highly decorated German soldier, was inducted as part of the original Overwatch strike team that put an end to the Omnic Crisis. After the conflict's resolution, Overwatch grew into a global institution, keeping the peace in a war-torn world. Reinhardt proved himself to be one of its most stalwart champions.
Reinhardt's unique ethics and larger-than-life persona earned the admiration of his peers and superiors alike. Never afraid to speak his mind, he was Overwatch's most vocal supporter and, when necessary, its harshest critic, providing a constant reminder that Overwatch was meant to be a force for good. He got on well with Torbjörn (who maintained his armor). At some point he was stationed at Watchpoint: Gibraltar, where he got a tan.
Having served into his late fifties, Reinhardt was faced with mandatory retirement from combat operations. Despondent about being removed from active duty, Reinhardt feared that his days of purpose and glory had ended. As times grew darker and Overwatch came under suspicion of corruption and sedition, Reinhardt could only watch as the cause he had dedicated his life to defending surrendered in disgrace.
One year prior to its disbandanment, Overwatch's Swiss headquarters was destroyed, apparently killing Jack Morrison in the blast. Reinhardt spoke fondly of his former commander at his memorial service.
Though Overwatch was eventually disbanded, Reinhardt was not content to sit idly by while the world fell to disorder. Once again donning his Crusader armor, he vowed to fight for justice across Europe like a knight of old, defending the innocent and winning hearts and minds with the promise of better days to come. In this he was accompanied by Brigitte, who helped maintain his armor. The pair would get into numerous scraps.
While traveling with Brigitte, Reinhardt and his companion found themselves low on fuel and money. They stopped off in a town to get some of the former, but found it practically abandoned. They discovered that the area was being menaced by the Dragons, a group of scavengers who were seizing territory, unopposed by the local authorities. They encountered some of the Dragons themselves, and Reinhardt stepped in, demanding they leave. They refused, and proceeded to beat him into the ground. Laughing at his now inability to fight back, they headed off, warning Reinhardt that he should do likewise. Not following that advice, Reinhardt and Brigitte got his armor back into fighting shape. With Brigitte having located the Dragons' base of operations in a nearby factory, Reinhardt headed off to confront them. Willingly or otherwise, Reinhardt saw the Dragons as actual dragons of myth, and fought them as the proverbial knight. In this he succeeded, and demanded that they leave these lands and never return.
The next day Reinhardt was back in the town, telling the mayor that the Dragons would bother his people no longer. Their job done, he and Brigitte headed off to get some fuel. And currywurst.
|Block 8000 damage with Reinhardt's Barrier Field without dying in Quick or Competitive play.|
|Land Reinhardt's Fire Strike and Charge after an Earthshatter stun in Quick or Competitive play.|
- Darin De Paul performs Reinhardt as an exaggerated version of his father's voice.
- 2015-??-??, "Darin's Resume". Darin De Paul Voice Over. Accessed on 2016-05-18
- "Overwatch Pre-Beta Livestream Recap", Overpwn, 16 October 2015. Retrieved on 17 October 2015.
- Reinhardt, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2015-02-15
- Overwatch: Reinhardt: Dragon Slayer
- Overwatch, Reinhardt Quotes
- 2015-07-07, Fading Glory: On the Trail of Jack Morrison. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-08-24
- 2015-12-18, Overwatch Theatrical Teaser | "We Are Overwatch". YouTube, accessed on 2015-12-19
- Tracer: Reflections
- 2014-11-24, BlizzCon 2014 – Overwatch Unveiled Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-03-08
- 2016-07-21, BLIZZCON 2016 GOODY BAG. Blizzpro, accessed on 2016-07-22
- 2016-10-30, The voice of Reinhardt: Interview with Darin De Paul Break The Game, accessed on 2016-11-17
| Heroes in Overwatch|