|"One shot, one kill."|
|Gérard Lacroix (husband, deceased)|
| Chloe Hollings (English and French)
Francesca Perilli (Italian)
|See This Hero On OverPwn|
- 1 Summary
- 2 Abilities
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Story
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Cosmetics
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Videos
- 9 References
- 10 External links
A cold-blooded assassin, Widowmaker is the archetypal sniper, grappling up to vantage points and lining up the perfect kill shot. Her sniper rifle and sticky mines make her a strong Defense hero, staking out choke-points and picking off any target that stands still for too long.
- Widowmaker has an extremely long range with her sniper rifle.
- Use her grappling hook to reach vantage points or to escape from danger.
- Infra-Sight allows her entire team to see enemies through walls.
Widowmaker is the archetypical sniper of Overwatch. Equipped with a powerful scoped rifle, she is capable of taking down the majority of the game's heroes with a single fully-charged headshot, and is still able to deal serious damage with bodyshots. Her Infra-Sight and Venom Mine give her and her team considerable information on enemy movements, allowing them to easily counter ambushes and coordinated pushes. She is, however, relatively weak in close-range combat, and her immobility while scoped makes her an easy target; Widowmaker's biggest threat is often another, better Widowmaker on the enemy team.
Weapons & Abilities
- Widow's Kiss: Widowmaker's primary weapon. Widow's Kiss has two firing modes, which are switched between with the secondary fire button. The standard firing mode is a submachine gun, similar to Soldier: 76's Heavy Pulse Rifle, though with less accuracy and a larger magazine. The secondary firing mode is a sniper rifle that zooms in Widowmaker's vision and reduces the firing rate to single shots. A charge meter is visible while scoped that fills over time, with the damage of the shot increasing the more the meter is filled.
- The secondary firing mode is Widowmaker's main source of damage. It allows her to hit opponents at very long distances.
- Critical hits with Widowmaker's secondary fire deal 2.5x critical damage as opposed to the normal 2x. As a result, a fully charged critical hit deals 300 damage.
- An uncharged shot from the sniper rifle deals miniscule damage. Aim to have your shot at least 60-70% charged before firing.
- Though not especially accurate, the submachine gun is usually a better option than the sniper rifle when fighting at short range. Aim for your opponent's head to deal increased damage.
- Grappling Hook: When activated, Widowmaker shoots out a wrist-mounted grappling hook. If the hook impacts a solid surface, Widowmaker will pull herself to the hook. She maintains some of the pull momentum after arriving at the hook's location. If the hook does not impact a solid surface, it will return to Widowmaker and not be put on cooldown.
- Grappling Hook allows Widowmaker to get to almost any vertical area that she can see. Use this mobility to get to places your enemies least expect, such as on catwalks or high walls.
- Grappling Hook can be used to escape from enemies who get too close to Widowmaker. Fire it at a distant wall to gain some distance from flankers like Genji.
- Since Widowmaker still maintains some momentum after arriving at the hook's location, she can use it as a sort of "high jump" to use her sniper rifle on targets normally out of her line of fire while midair. This is very challenging to do, however, and is not normally recommended.
- Venom Mine: When activated, Widowmaker fires out a small mine that attaches to the first solid surface it impacts, arming itself after it lands. If an enemy walks near to the mine while it's armed, it will detonate, poisoning them and any nearby enemies with a toxic gas that deals damage over time. The mine has a Health pool, and will be destroyed if it takes enough damage, preventing the detonation.
- Use Venom Mine to protect yourself from flankers. Place it around a corner leading to your sniping spot so that you're alerted if an enemy tries to make their way through there. You will see a small alert on your HUD if it is either destroyed or triggered.
- Since Venom Mine travels a fair distance when activated, Widowmaker can use it somewhat like a grenade by shooting it into a group of enemies that she's flanking. This will help to soften up weaker enemies for the kill with her sniper rifle.
- Infra-Sight (Ultimate): Widowmaker's Ultimate ability. When activated, Widowmaker and her team temporarily gain infravision, showing them the location of all enemies by highlighting their silhouettes with a red glow when they are behind walls or other solid surfaces. Widowmaker can see the remaining duration of Infra-Sight on her UI.
- While Infra-Sight has little direct combat power in comparison to something like Bastion's Configuration: Tank, it provides a massive amount of information to Widowmaker's entire team. Use this information to set up ambushes, avoid flankers, and counter other Widowmakers attempting to snipe you.
- Use Infra-Vision to set up headshots more easily by waiting for enemies to come around corners. The knowledge of their position makes it much easier to get a headshot successfully.
- Widowmaker has the potential to be an absolute menace to the enemy team when played well. She is best used on maps with lots of long corridors and open areas with little cover that she can shoot down on, picking off her opponents one by one. She works less well on maps with lots of small rooms and side routes that her enemies can travel through to avoid her. She also has a lot of trouble dealing with tanks like Reinhardt, whose powerful barrier can stop her shots dead.
- Widowmaker should never stay in one place for very long. Your sniper rifle shots, whether they hit or miss, have long, visible tracers that tell the enemy team where you're firing from. As soon as your enemies know where you are, they'll start to take steps to either avoid you (by traveling a different way) or counter you (such as with a mobile tank like Winston). Constantly remain on the move to keep your enemies guessing and to get better angles on vulnerable targets like Mercy or Zenyatta.
- Avoid using your sniper scope when standing in a wide open area, especially if the rest of your team is not surrounding you. A lone Widowmaker standing without cover is an easy target for Pharah or another Widowmaker.
- Avoid the temptation of only aiming for headshots. While headshots are preferable, they are hard to get on moving targets who are aware of your location, especially if you don't have a good angle of fire. Go for a headshot if you can catch an enemy unaware, or if they are moving in a predictable way. Otherwise, go for bodyshots.
- When fighting enemies up close, use Venom Mine and switch to your submachine gun to fight them. Venom Mine does a surprising amount of damage, as does Widowmaker's submachine gun. While most skilled flankers will be able to kill you if they get that close to you, you can sometimes do enough damage to drive them away, especially if you aren't caught off-guard by them.
- In general, you want to maintain distance from your opponents, as you're vulnerable in close combat. If you're presented the opportunity to safely flank your opponents at closer ranges, do so, as it makes lining up sniper rifle shots and dealing damage with Venom Mine much easier. Be ready to quickly escape with Grappling Hook once the enemy team turns their attention to you.
- Use Infra-Sight strategically. If your team is making a push onto an objective (or the enemy team is making a push onto your objective), use it to give your team significant information about enemy positions and their movement. Knowing where critical enemy heroes like Mercy are can make it a lot easier for allied heroes like Roadhog or Tracer to pick them off, giving your team a big advantage.
- Widowmaker's primary targets should be low-health support like Zenyatta and Mercy, followed by stationary defenses like Bastion and Torbjorn's turrets. Other targets should be picked according to threat and team composition, such as rival snipers like another Widowmaker, Hanzo or Mei, or McCree in the midst of using Deadeye. She should only target Tanks like Winston, Roadhog, Zarya or Reinhardt if it is to her advantage, such as weakening them enough for teammates to pick off, or gaining Ultimate level for another Infra-Sight use. D.Va is a decent target in either form, as her MEKA's Critical spot is easy to strike and D.Va herself has very low health, but the aforementioned priority targets should come first.
Counters to Widowmaker
General tips: Widowmaker has no peripheral vision while sniping; flanking is usually the best approach to taking out a Widowmaker. Widowmaker's ability to kill increases with distance. Characters with high mobility and that thrive in close-range combat are strong against her. Tanks, in general, usually have enough health to withstand multiple headshots from Widowmaker.
- Mei: Her Ice Wall will often fully block the small openings that Widowmakers like to snipe through, allowing you and your teammates to cross her killing field and close in. With good aim, Mei can potentially out-snipe Widowmaker, since she doesn't need to be scoped, but this is risky and should only be a last resort.
- Hanzo: Hanzo does not require scoping before making a shot, meaning that he still retains his vision and mobility. While Widowmaker has an advantage in range, Hanzo can still counter-snipe her with good aim.
- Genji: He can deflect her scoped shots, he can quickly access high places where Widomakers like to hide, and his melee attack is very effective against her.
- Tracer: Her speed both makes her a difficult target to snipe and can help her flank quickly, and her damage at close range can kill Widowmaker in seconds.
- Reaper: He can teleport to Widowmaker's location and kill her at close range.
- Soldier: 76: He can harass Widowmaker at long range to make it difficult for her to snipe.
- D.Va: D.Va, in her MEKA, is the one character it is impossible for Widowmaker to kill with one shot regardless of how well-aimed or how low her health is. This, in addition to D.Va's flight and shields, can be used to quickly rush a Widowmaker and force her out of her sniping nest.
- Winston: His high health, mobility, shield, and melee attack allow him to close the gap and kill Widowmaker effectively.
- Roadhog If Roadhog can get within medium-range of Widowmaker, his Chain Hook allows him to close the gap instantly, and his secondary fire at close range will one-shot Widowmaker. His high health makes him difficult for Widowmaker to take down quickly.
- Reinhardt His Barrier Field gives teammates complete, long-lasting protection from Widowmaker's fire. Virtually any character hiding behind it can easily take out a sighted Widowmaker.
- Ana: Ana can harrass Widowmaker and make it unsafe for her to snipe at other characters. More effectively, however, Ana can put Widowmaker to sleep with her Sleep Dart, either taking her out of the fight for a short time period or letting teammates like Winston close in and finish her off.
Widowmaker is the perfect assassin: a patient, ruthlessly efficient killer who shows neither emotion nor remorse.
In her former life, Widowmaker was married to Gérard Lacroix, an Overwatch agent spearheading operations against the Talon terrorist organization. After several unsuccessful attempts to eliminate Gérard, Talon decided to change its focus to his wife, Amélie. Talon operatives kidnapped her and subjected her to an intense program of neural reconditioning. They broke her will, suppressed her personality, and reprogrammed her as a sleeper agent. She was eventually found by Overwatch agents, apparently none the worse for wear, and returned to her normal life.
Two weeks later she killed Gérard in his sleep.
Her mission complete, Amélie returned to Talon, and they completed the process of turning her into a living weapon. She was given extensive training in the covert arts, and then her physiology was altered, drastically slowing her heart, which turned her skin cold and blue and numbed her ability to experience human emotion. Amélie was gone, replaced by "Widowmaker," Talon's most effective assassin, and feeling little save the satisfaction of a job well done. As far as Overwatch knew, she had been kidnapped.
Widowmaker was present in an anti-Talon operation conducted by Overwatch, as a force led by Jack Morrison rescued a number of scientists that Talon had taken hostage. While Overwatch was successful in this regard, Widowmaker was able to take out a number of agents. The operation led to a sniper duel between her and Ana Amari, as they made their way throughout the urban terrain. Ana was able to temporarily incapacitate Widowmaker, hitting her in her helmet. But upon seeing Widowmaker's face, she froze, recognizing her as Amélie. It was all the time Widowmaker needed to take her own shot, shooting Ana through the scope of her rifle and into her eye.
|“||When I was a girl, I had a fear of spiders. I was told they felt no emotion. That their hearts never beat. But I know the truth. At the moment of the kill, they are never more alive.||„|
Widowmaker was sent to King's Row to assassinate Tekhartha Mondatta, the Shambali leader, as he made a speech. As she made her way to her vantage point, she reflected upon how she had been frightened of spiders as a child, drawing an implicit comparison to Widowmaker herself -- neither one felt emotion or had a beating heart. She lowered herself, upside-down, off the side of a building using her grappling hook and began to line up her shot. However, unbeknownst to her, Tracer was also at the speech. Just before she could press the trigger, she was distracted by Tracer blinking through the air towards her, pistols firing. The two engaged in a rooftop chase as Mondatta was ushered away, having been warned by Tracer. In the end, Tracer's pulsebomb backfired and blew both of them into the air. As she fell, Widowmaker took careful aim, and fired a single bullet at the center of Tracer's chronal accelerator. Tracer blinked forward, and the bullet sped on -- straight into Mondatta, killing him moments before he entered his limousine. Tracer tackled her to the ground, demanding to know why she would do such a thing, but Widowmaker just chuckled, whispered, "Adieu, chérie," ("Goodbye, love,") and slammed her into the side of a building. As Widowmaker flew away on a Talon aircraft, she completed her internal dialogue: Despite what people said, spiders do feel -- when they kill.
Day at the Museum
|“||There you are.||„|
|~ Widowmaker, after seeing Doomfist's gauntlet|
Widowmaker teamed up with Reaper as part of an attempt to recover Doomfist's gauntlet. She was hindered in this by Winston and Tracer however. The mission was further complicated by a child stealing the gauntlet, and using it against her. After Tracer disarmed her, she made an escape with Reaper using her grapple, though both agents engaged in pursuit.
|“||I am in position.||„|
Alongside Reaper and Sombra, Widowmaker was assigned to assassinate Katya Volskaya, the CEO of Volskaya Industries. Sombra was able to take down the facility's security system, allowing Widowmaker and Reaper access to the site. Widowmaker lined up her sights from a vantage point, and waited for Katya to enter her field of fire. She almost did, but an alarm sounded, sending the base into high alert and Katya to her panic room. Widowmaker fired but narrowly missed the CEO, instead shattering the lower half of her hanging right earring. Reaper ordered her to stay put while he took her out, but he was waylaid by a mech. Sombra engaged in pursuit, but reported that Katya had escaped. Reaper ordered that the operatives return to their ship.
During Christmas, Widowmaker took a visit to Gérard's resting place. She left a rose on her husbands grave. Roses being used to signify love, red roses especially. 
|Kill 4 enemies using Widowmaker's Venom Mine during a single Quick or Competitive play game.|
|Kill an enemy with a scoped headshot while airborne as Widowmaker in Quick or Competitive play.|
- Widowmaker's name and her spider themes are a reference to the black widow spider.
- "Widowmaker" essentially describes her past, as she made herself a widow by killing her husband.
- Widowmaker bears resemblance to the ghosts of Blizzard Entertainment's StarCraft series, in terms of equipment and the use of mental conditioning.
- One of Nova's skins in Heroes of the Storm is Widowmaker. Her face can also be found on a color variant of Tychus Tychus's armor. The lead hero designer has said that it's unlikely that Widowmaker will be a hero in the game.
- Widowmaker is voiced by Chloe Hollings in both English and French version of the game, making her the only hero in the game to have the same voice in different language versions.
- Her voiceline "let them eat cake" is a famous French saying misattributed to Queen Marie Antoinette in response to the peasant's cry in regards to the bread shortage.
- A Funko Pop Widowmaker figurine was released on July 18th, 2016.
- The tattoo on her right forearm reads "araignée du soir, Cauchemar", which is the French for "spider in the evening, Nightmare". It's a play on an old French superstition that goes "Araignée du matin, chagrin; araignée du soir, espoir". Directly translated it means, "Spider in the morning, grief; spider in the evening, hope." A more literal translation is "If you see a spider in the morning, it's bad luck. If you see a spider in the evening, it's good luck."
The first concept for Widowmaker was to create a ranged sniper character. She was one of the easiest characters to animate in the game, and was one of the first three characters designed for Overwatch, alongside Tracer and Reaper.
- Widowmaker, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2014-12-14
- Ana: Legacy
- 2014-11-07, Overwatch Cinematic Trailer. YouTube, accessed on 2014-11-30
- Tracer: Reflections
- 2014-01-19, Overwatch Easter Egg In Heroes Of The Storm. Blizzpro, accessed on 2015-02-01
- 2016-10-15, Heroes of The Storm Dev Discusses Cho'Gall Balance, Hero Design, And More!. The Escapist, accessed on 2016-10-15
- 2016-09-02, "Widowmaker is the same actress in both English and French. If you look up the "Alive" animated short on YouTube in each language you can hear that it's the same person." Reddit.
- 2016-04-2016, Release dates listed for Funko Pop Overwatch Action Figures. Game Idealist.
- 2015-12-10, How Blizzard is making up Overwatch's story as it goes. PC Gamer, accessed on 2015-12-24
- 2015-05-27, BlizzCon 2014 – Overwatch Origins Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-05-31
- 2016-04-22, The Story of Overwatch: Return of the 90s Shooter. YouTube, accessed on 2016-09-08
| Heroes in Overwatch|