|"Together we are strong."|
||Krasnoyarsk Front, Russia|
|Russian Defense Forces|
| Dolya Gavanski (English)
Alexia Lunel (French)
|See This Hero On OverPwn|
- 1 Summary
- 2 Abilities
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Hero Match-ups
- 5 Story
- 6 Achievements
- 7 Cosmetics
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Videos
- 10 Patch Notes History
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Aleksandra "Zarya" Zaryanova is a Russian, pink-haired soldier who loves to play around with particles and gravity. Her primary weapon of choice is a particle cannon which can shoot beams and balls of energy, and create shields for herself and her allies. A powerful Tank, Zarya can turn the damage she absorbs into energy to fuel her weapons, dishing out damage as she defends her team.
- Zarya is a heavily shielded tank that uses barriers to protect herself and her allies.
- Fire her weapon's primary beam at nearby enemies, and its secondary fire at long range.
- The Graviton Surge pulls enemies into it and damages them.
Zarya is a challenging Tank to play, though one of the most rewarding when played well. She gains Energy by absorbing damage with her barrier abilities, increasing her own damage substantially. At maximum Energy, she is a monstrous threat to the enemy team, tearing them apart in seconds with her Particle Cannon. Her Ultimate has some of the highest playmaking potential in the game, with the ability to trap entire teams in a single spot for her allies to fire upon. All of this comes with a severe weakness: she is the softest of the Tanks, with the lowest base Health out of them and only an infrequent, short-duration barrier to protect her and her team.
Weapons & Abilities
- Energy (Passive): Zarya spawns with 0 Energy and can gain a maximum of 100 Energy. Energy is gained when her Particle Barrier or Projected Barrier absorb damage, at a rate of 1% energy for every 5 points of damage absorbed. For every 1 Energy Zarya has, the damage of her Particle Cannon is increased by 1%. Energy will slowly decay over time at 2% every second.
- Maintaining a high level of Energy is critical to Zarya's gameplay. At low Energy levels, Zarya isn't much of a threat. At high Energy levels, Zarya is a significant damage dealer that the enemy team ignores at their peril.
- Particle Cannon: Zarya's main weapon. The primary fire, when held down, shoots out a hitscan beam that deals continuous damage to the first enemy it hits. The secondary fire consumes more ammunition and shoots out a grenade-like ball of energy that detonates when it hits an enemy or solid surface, dealing damage in an area. This detonation will damage Zarya; the damage will be negated by Particle Barrier, but does not return any Energy.
- The primary fire is useful for taking down single targets, while the secondary fire is useful for damaging groups or hitting particularly evasive enemies like Tracer. Switch between the two depending on the situation.
- The primary fire pierces Genji's Deflect and D.Va's Defense Matrix. Contrary to some reports, it does not ignore enemy armor.
- Particle Barrier: When activated, Zarya will completely surround herself with a barrier for a brief period of time, absorbing a large amount of damage and making her immune to all negative effects (such as knockback or stun) while the barrier holds. Damage dealt to the Particle Barrier contributes to her Energy.
- Be cautious when activating Particle Barrier. It has a lengthy cooldown time and a short duration, leaving Zarya vulnerable during the time when it's down. Don't activate it unless your enemies are already firing at you.
- Particle Barrier is best used when you predict a sudden incoming burst of damage, such as running into a Reaper around a corner or when you see Junkrat's RIP-Tire getting within explosion range.
- Projected Barrier: When activated, Zarya grants the targeted ally a barrier that will completely surround them for a brief period of time, absorbing a large amount of damage and making them immune to all negative effects (such as knockback or stun) while the barrier holds. Damage dealt to the Particle Barrier contributes to Zarya's Energy. This ability autotargets the ally closest to Zarya's crosshairs.
- Projected Barrier behaves otherwise identically to Particle Barrier in terms of damage absorption and immunity to negative effects.
- Much like Particle Barrier, the short duration of Projected Barrier means that you must choose an ideal time to use it. Predict when an ally is about to take a large amount of damage and use it to both keep them alive and give yourself Energy.
- Graviton Surge (Ultimate): Zarya's Ultimate ability. When activated, Zarya fires an energy projectile in an arc. When the projectile impacts a solid surface, it creates a temporary gravity well that continually pulls in all nearby enemies and deals damage over time to them.
- Although Graviton Surge is not a devastating Ultimate on its own, it is easily the most powerful Ultimate in the game when coordinated with other Ultimates.
- The projectile from Graviton Surge is destroyed if it hits an enemy Zarya's barrier or D.Va's Defense matrix, but if it hits Winston's or Reinhardt's barrier it will simply activate where struck. It is still not a good idea to fire it at those places, as they will lessen or negate your team's ability to combo with it.
- When played poorly, Zarya contributes only average damage, mild absorption with her barriers, and her Ultimate. When played well, Zarya is able to cleave through teams with the damage provided by high Energy and can save both herself and a single teammate from otherwise certain death. Despite her power when played well, however, she's still somewhat lacking as a Tank when it comes to either blocking off a point (like Reinhardt) or disrupting the enemy team (like Winston). Consider pairing her up with either of them instead of going as your team's only Tank.
- A good way to consistently gain Energy is to engage your opponents before activating Particle Barrier. Your enemies will have less time to react and stop hitting your barrier if they're already firing at you. Approaching your enemies and activating Particle Barrier immediately will likely cause them to simply retreat until the barrier is down before returning to firing at you.
- Exploit the secondary fire of Particle Cannon by firing it at oncoming enemies and then ducking back in behind cover to avoid return fire. Despite being a Tank, Zarya can generally absorb less damage than the other Tanks, making cautious play important. You should ideally try to minimize the amount of time you're exposed to enemy fire while still threatening enemies who get too close with your presence.
- Look for opportunities where you can predictably absorb damage with Particle Barrier, such as by running into the grenades from Junkrat's Frag Launcher or the attacks from several of Symmetra's Sentry Turrets. This will help you to maintain a higher level of Energy in order to threaten your opponents more effectively.
- Both of Zarya's barriers act like a separate health pool, If used to block high damage ults from heroes like Tracer, D.va, or Junkrat it will totally negate the damage and likely instantly bring you to full charge, but only if it stays active at the time of the explosion. This can also be exploited to save squishier heroes from such ultimates, if they are close enough and you have the reaction time.
- Using a particle barrier while being frozen by Mei's Endothermic Blaster or Blizzard will free the player from the slowing effects of freezing. Use this right before a Mei completes a freeze on a player to surprise the Mei and force her to retreat or use her Cryo-Freeze. Additionally, this can be used to free players trapped in Mei's Blizzard, as it gives 2 seconds for Zarya or a shielded player to leave the radius of the ultimate unslowed. Already frozen players will not be unfrozen by a Projected Barrier but frozen players are vulnerable and likely to be shot at; consider shielding them for a good source of Energy.
- A substantial portion of Zarya's Health is composed of shields. When you see yourself getting below 50% Health, duck into cover to give your shields time to regenerate. This will allow you to keep fighting far longer than staying out in the open constantly will.
- Projected Barrier is one of Zarya's strongest abilities. It gives a single ally a substantial increase in Health, allowing them to absorb more fire than normal, as well as giving you Energy. Allies like Reaper and Roadhog benefit immensely from Projected Barrier, especially when they are using channeled Ultimates, as it will stop them from being interrupted temporarily. An ally Reinhardt holding up a barrier can also be a good Projected Barrier target, as all damage that would be absorbed by his barrier is instead absorbed by Zarya's barrier. It can also save an ally like Mercy from being killed by enemy flankers if applied in time. Rather than throwing it out randomly, consider the enemy team's composition and position and decide whether throwing it on an ally for extra Energy is better than saving it in case of a flank by an enemy hero like Genji.
- Graviton Surge is one of the trickiest Ultimates in the game to use correctly, but is devastating when deployed at the right time. It is also one of the slowest-charging Ultimates of any hero, making proper use of it critical. In general, pay attention to the Assault heroes on your team and wait for their Ultimates to be up before deploying Graviton Surge. Try to fire the projectile so that it will land in the center of the enemy team in order to catch as many of them as possible. When combined with an Ultimate like Reaper's Death Blossom or Pharah's Barrage, you can easily wipe out entire enemy teams in a single blow. Using it when none of your allies have their Ultimates will usually result in only one or two kills at the most, or possibly even no kills if the enemy team has a Reinhardt blocking most of the damage.
VS. : Genji's Deflect does nothing on Zarya's primary fire from Particle Cannon. While the secondary fire from Particle Cannon can be Deflected, but it is unlikely she will use it against him in close-range. With enough Energy, Zarya can tear Genji down within seconds when having precise aiming. Her weapon needs accurate aiming, so Genji can keep himself in close-range and attack you with Shuriken or Fan of Blades. Your Barriers can both protect yourself and your ally from Genji, gain some Energy in return as he deals low damage compare to other offense heroes. You can harm him as long as he stays in effective range, let him go when he performs Swift Strike to flee far away; you don't have advanced mobility to chase him. Keep in mind that your Gravity Surge can be Deflected, put your team in the most crisis situation. Avoid release your ultimate when he is about to ready to Deflect at the moment.
VS. : McCree can attack Zarya out of her effective range thanks to his Peacekeeper high damage at medium-range. His signature Flashbang combo with Fan the Hammer works less to a tank like Zarya, but still tear through considerable health. Zarya's Barriers proves to be frustrated for McCree as he deals high damage pershot; feeding her high charged of Energy. With high Energy, she can burn you down with less effort as he doesn't have mobility option other than Combat Roll. Both of her Barriers counter McCree's Deadeye really well. Both Barriers can protect yourself and one of your ally; giving an amount of Energy when depleted in process. If you find the situation that McCree is harassing in long-range, let your teammates do the job while you must focus on using Barrier to protect your team.
VS. : Pharah usually stays out of range of Zarya's weapon. With Jump Jet, Pharah can maintain airborne attitude long enough to freely attack Zarya one-sided completely. In the wide-open area, it is hard for Zarya to kite Pharah when she is too far while Pharah can attack you from all-range available. With that said, Pharah's Jump Jet has a limited. Once her fuel is low enough, Zarya can kite her in closer range with some accurate aiming before she activates Jump Jet to flee to the air. Pharah's rockets give Zarya enough charge if they're direct hits, so be ready to use Particle Barrier when she is targeting you. Projected Barrier will protect your teammate from Pharah's Rockets, regain Energy in return. While Zarya is not as a threat on her own, she is considerable threat to Pharah's teammates especially when she regain some Energy from slow-speed Rockets.
VS. : Reaper has enough power to tear through Zarya's barriers before they naturally dissipate, which is useful if Zarya is surrounded by the enemy team. While alone, Reaper can time his shots carefully to avoid giving Zarya Energy, then tear through her with his Hellfire Shotguns. His Wraith Form also allows him to get out of Graviton Surge which is a definite lifesaver. However, outside of this technique Reaper's engagement against Zarya is limited. Her Particle Cannon is far enough to tear Reaper in mid-range when he is trying to come closer. A wise Zarya will activate Barrier mid-fight when engaging Reaper; gain some sudden charge on her Energy since he has a lessen time to react. Throw Protected Barrier to your teammate who being hunted by Reaper in vital situation, not only protect your teammate but also force him to stop attack in order to avoid giving you a high amount of Energy.
VS. : Soldier: 76 deals much consistent damage higher than McCree does. He has superior range and mobility to attack Zarya at all ranges. Soldier: 76 will remain fine as long as he stays out of her effective range. However, his high damage output is also an option for Zarya to gain some high Energy. His wrong Helix Rockets timing will give her high Energy when it hits the Barrier. In closer-range, even Soldier: 76 can put Biotic Field to prolong the fight, but charged-Zarya can bring him down with less effort. If Soldier: 76 wish to flee with Sprint, you may try to shoot him via secondary fire. If he gets some cover, don't chase him anymore. During his Tactical Visor, both of your Barriers will force him to destroy or avoid shooting them.
VS. : Sombra with a good EMP can took out almost all of Zarya's ability to defend herself: Both of her Barriers are disabled and Zarya herself is only left with 200 Health, which made Zarya easy to be taken out by Sombra and her team who has superior speed and damage at close range even for a full charge Zarya due to Zarya's large hitbox compare to Sombra's. Sombra's Hack can also disable both of Zarya's Barriers and make her unable to gain charge for a short time. Remember to save your Barrier when you think Sombra is about to cast EMP or Hack to protect yourself and get charge. Sombra's Thermoptic Camo and Translocator enables her to sneaks behind Zarya to initiate her EMP or Hack before Zarya can respond.
VS. : Tracer can dodge Zarya's beam with ease, even while it is on high charge, and her Recall lets her escape from a poor attempt to kill. Her fast reload can be used to fake Zarya out; fire a few shots, wait for Zarya to use her barrier, then reload and get up in Zarya's face. However, Tracer's effective range is also Zarya's effective range, even further for some meters. A good-Zarya may notice your gunfire and activate the Barrier during your mid-attacking, gaining some Energy to fight back. Tracer has mini-health pool when compares to all heroes in game, take some shot will put her at risk. Charged-secondary fire is worth to finish the job before Tracer can perform Recall by shoot it on her grounded after or before the Blink. Pulse Bomb can instantly kill Zarya when stuck without provided other based-health. So be ready to use the Barriers when you know that she is coming after to throw the ultimate.
VS. : In Sentry Mode, Bastion can tear through Zarya's barriers instantly, and kill her before she can get up to full charge. If a full-charge Zarya catches Bastion by surprise, she is more than capable of killing him but this is extremely difficult if Bastion has set up in a good spot. Also, Graviton Surge merely pulls Bastion into the vortex-it doesn't take him out of Sentry Mode, which can cause more harm than good for the team.
VS. : Hanzo can't shoot Zarya down with one-headshot, but badly wound her over half of her health. Hanzo excels in attacking at mid to long-range and when combine with his ability to climb a wall, making himself on a safe position which Zarya can't easily attack back. It is hard for Zarya to spot Hanzo's position since his arrow is generally silent unlike Widowmaker. Both of your Barriers can be used to close a gap while protecting your teammates from being shot down by Hanzo. Your secondary fire can hit Hanzo with some adjustment on minor arcing. If you can spot him, you can timing his attack by activate the Barrier to save yourself and gain some charge. A grounded-Hanzo is even less a threat, as you have Barrier to counter his arrow and his inability to move out of the battlefield in time. Keep in mind that your medium to large hitbox will take most of his Scatter Arrow when he aims on your feet.
VS. : Junkrat's grenades can give Zarya a decent amount of charge, although he normally stays out of her primary fire's range. Her secondary fire can usually reach Junkrat,. although it can still be difficult to hit-and he has his Concussion Mine to escape if things go sour. Also remember that Zarya has a rare gift-if Junkrat dies and Zarya applies a Barrier to herself, she can walk through his passive grenades and gain charge in the process.
VS. : Mei can frustrate Zarya in many ways; Cryo-Freeze will force Zarya to either walk away or waste energy waiting for Mei to thaw out, and Ice Wall will stop Zarya dead in her tracks, as she has no mobility options asides from walking around it. Mei can outdamage Zarya at medium to long-range thanks to her Icicle accuracy. While Mei can frustrate Zarya in both close and long-range, she lacks a source of killing power necessary to put down Zarya, as she is capable of taking two headshots from Mei's Icicles. Zarya's Barriers remove Mei's freezing effect, make you and your teammate survive in a precious time. While she lacks some killing power, she is a strong counter when directly fight around you when the barrier is on cooldown. You can burn Mei down within seconds when you have enough Energy, but not before she use Cryo-Freeze to heal herself and Ice Wall to split each other then disengage. Graviton Surge is a deadly ultimate, but with some well placed Ice Wall; she can close the vision of your team to attack her while simply wait the ultimate expires.
VS. : Torbjörn's Turret deals some little damage to Zarya's Barrier, which can't give her enough Energy. With enough Energy, Zarya can tear Torbjörn's Turret within seconds. However, her attack range is far limited than Torbjörn's Turret (including Torbjörn himself as well), even secondary fire mightn't be enough to destroy the Turret by her own. Her Barrier is worth for protecting herself and allies while move forward to get close to Torbjörn's Turret and destroy it. Remember that your Barriers only last for 2 seconds, if you and your teammates can't get closer to Torbjörn, try to find a cover avoiding feeding him ultimate charge. Torbjörn himself is dangerous, but it can't compare to you when you have high charged-Energy, bring him down with less effort when combining with the Barrier.
VS. : Widowmaker won't be able to kill Zarya with one headshot but her extreme range makes her hard for Zarya to hit. She can lay down suppressive fire with her rifle and her Grappling Hook provides her with a reliable escape. However, both of her Barriers can be used to protect herself and her allies while closing a gap to Widowmaker. While Zarya herself doesn't have much mobility to chase Widowmaker, her high firepower from charged Energy will tear down a grounded Widowmaker within seconds. Your secondary fire can hit Widowmaker with some adjustment from arcing, but it deals little damage when not direct hit nor having enough Energy. Try to fight her when she is on ground and only when your Barrier is active, you can fairly win over her unless she has a Grappling Hook. Overall, Zarya can't counter Widowmaker's extreme range; makes it one-sided attack, but she can protect herself and her allies from being shot down by the enemy's Widowmaker while closing the gap to her.
VS. : Unfortunately for D.Va, her Defense Matrix does nothing to stop Zarya's primary attack. As channeled type weapon, Zarya's primary fire ignores Defense Matrix and directly hit D.Va with ease thanks to her large hitbox. Zarya's Barrier can force D.Va to stop firing and let Zarya making a one-sided attack, with high Energy, she can damage D.Va high enough that pressuring her to flee with Boosters or destroy the mech. Without a Particle Barrier, D.Va can still be dangerous when she can track your movement and attack. However, as she is slowed when firing, you can just retreat and attack her in return; The large spread of her weapon will have less effective once you get far enough. Mechless D.Va has unlimited range which can kite you from a distance to gain some free charge to buy a new Mech, but get up close she has nothing to counter you no matter your Energy remain. Zarya's Barrier can be utilized to protect yourself and one of your allies from D.Va's Self-Destruct, giving high amount of Energy in return. Keep in mind that D.Va's Defense Matrix can eat your Graviton Surge, so adjusting the position to use your ultimate with care.
VS. : Reinhardt's Barrier Field can block most of Zarya's attacks, both primary and secondary fires aside. However, his Fire Strike will mostly feed Zarya's Energy when she is ready to activate her Barrier receiving the Fire Strike, including the allies who she uses Projected Barrier onto. Reinhardt's Charge works less when he charged onto her teammate, if her Projected Barrier is off cooldown, the Charged-Target will happily survive while it gives her a high amount of Energy. She herself can withstand Reinhardt's Charge, but left with only low health once it hits the wall. Zarya can activate the Particle Barrier to retreat after charged, but may not long enough before Reinhardt's teammates provide fires and finish you there. You can pressure his Barrier Field with less effort when you have enough Energy to deal some more damage. Your Barriers can prevent yourself and the target from being stunned by Hammer Down, be able to react to fight back. Interestingly, anyone stands behind a Barrier will not be effected by Hammer Down like it hits the wall as well, you can position yourself in front of your teammates to prevent the effect goes through you.
VS. : Roadhog's Hook can be completely ruined with Zarya's Barriers when she use at the right moment. His Hook will be blocked when it hit her Barrier, herself or her teammate including. While the Barrier is on cooldown, Roadhog is dangerous with the Hook; he can grab her on his team and fire a powerful shotgun which will badly wound her. Zarya can activate her the Projected Barrier to her teammate in a precious moment of death from Roadhog's Hook combo, saving her teammate and gain high amount of charge from the destroyed Barrier (in case of he can't react in time). Zarya can't outdamage Roadhog's Take a Breather self-healing at low-Energy, once high enough, she can tear through Roadhog's self-healing and bring him down quickly as he has large frame to attack. Keep in mind that both of your Barriers have the close-cooldown to his Hook, activating it to prevent his Hook is a great choice but it will leave you to the enemy's fires from the other source without Barriers to protect. Keep in mind that you still be softer than most tank heroes, Roadhog's Scrap Gun will tear most of your health even if you can activate the Barrier after losing stunned effect.
VS. : Winston has constant mobility with can reach to Zarya’s teammates or Zarya herself with ease. His auto-multitarget can harm both Zarya and her teammates when they are in attack line. Barrier Projector protects himself from any harm he may take from Zarya’s Particle Cannon, which should withstand long enough when she has low Energy. However, the situation get worse for Winston once Zarya gains more Energy, as she can easily outdamage him once he performs a Jump Pack with she is nearby. Your Particle Barrier protects yourself from Winston’s Tesla Cannon which can force him to stop firing until it feeds some Energy to you. Likewise, she can use Projected Barrier to her teammate that being a victom of Winston, forcing him to stop firing as well. You can easily outdamage Winston when you have enough Energy and the Barrier is off cooldown even he has Barrier Projector, you can easily break through at high-charged. Winston doesn’t have much choice other than waiting the Barrier wear off or retreat. Winston’s Jump Pack can’t be used to escape from your Graviton Surge, especially useful when he activates Primal Rage to disrupt your team positions. Try to stay close to your team, so you can handle Winston with fine.
VS. : Due to how much benefits of Zarya’s Projected Barrier to their team, both Zarya tend to avoid engaging each other when they didn’t have high Energy as they usually want to stay alive as long as possible to help the teams. To gain some Energy, it is hard to gain Energy from each other directly, since Zarya’s Particle Cannon deals little damage when the Energy is low and easily stop firing mid-use. That’s so; they will mostly gain Energy from the other source such as the enemy’s fires, both from Particle Barrier and Projected Barrier. With enough level of Energy; you can engage the enemy’s Zarya, which can bring her down even if she has Barrier to protect herself. She will activate the Barrier to protect herself from your gunfire, but if your Barrier is available, counter by it immediately. When her Barrier wears off, it will take but seconds to kill her outright. Secondary fire from your Particle Cannon can finish her off when she has low health, cutting her from activate Barrier in time.
VS. : Ana's low damage won't give Zarya very much charge, and if she has low charge Ana can negate any damage done to her teammates. Ana's extreme attack range allows her to stay outside of Zarya's effective range which is limit around medium-range. However, Ana needs 5 shots to kill a full health Zarya-a fact made difficult by her secondary fire. As both of them don't have any special mobility, they can engage each other on the same vertical height. Zarya's Projected Barrier can protect someone who was slept by Ana's Sleep Dart. Although the barrier does nothing on removal the sleep effect, but it can force Ana's teammates to avoiding feeding Zarya's Energy gains from shooting it; protecting the slept target. The barriers can nullify the effect of Biotic Grenade, making herself and one of her teammate less vulnerable from the blocking heal effect. Ana's Sleep Dart can render Zarya useless when it directly hit her; when without barrier. With high Energy, Zarya can burn Ana down quickly even if she can heal herself through Biotic Grenade. Bear in mind that if Ana's teammates get caught in Graviton Surge, she can negate some damage they may take with her Biotic Grenade.
VS. : Lucio’s mobility can give him an easy time to avoid Zarya’s gunfire as it needs perfect aim. Lucio himself does little thing to Zarya’s Barriers, since he has low damage output. The Barrier prevents most effect, including knockback, which his Soundwave can’t knock you or your teammate when the Barrier is active. His healing will negate some of Zarya’s low damage especially when she can’t track most of his movement. With speed boost, he can retreat with teammates from Zarya’s attempt to hunt, thanks to her low mobility. With high-charged, Zarya can kite Lucio within her effective range and finish him off by firing secondary fire. While Lucio can’t do anything against Zarya’s Graviton Surve, his Amp It Up and Sound Barrier can protect himself and his teammates from Zarya’s team if they can’t provide enough damage output.
VS. : Although Mercy has Guardian Angel to flee from most situations, it isn’t far enough to send her out of Zarya’s attack range. Low-Energy Zarya isn’t much threat to Mercy, but at high-Energy; Zarya can bring Mercy down much faster. Mercy’s self-healing will perform after not taking any damage; Zarya’s channeled weapon can stop the healing effect. Keep in mind, even Mercy herself is weak, she will mostly stay with her healing/boosting target, you should avoid fighting both of them together. Watch out for Mercy’s position before activate Graviton Surge, she can revive all dead teammates as they died in the same location. In the other hand, you can bait Mercy to activate Resurrect without using Graviton Surge. Revival heroes can’t react within invulnerable duration. When invulnerable effect wears off; activate the ultimate and bring all of them together.
VS. : The splash damage from Particle Cannon's secondary fire is useful to wipe out most of Symmetra's Sentry Turrets. Zarya can use Particle Barrier to soak up most damage dealt by Turrets and transfer it to her Energy. Likewise, if any of her teammate is caught within Turrets and slowed down, she can throw Projected Barrier to the target to soak up most damage and prevent slow effect. With enough Energy, Zarya is a threat to Symmetra in mid-range. At long-range, they are both even match since they will try to launch their projectiles to each other. However, Symmetra's auto-target will have an upper hand at close-range if she keeps running around you while attack. Try to track her movement with primary fire and finish her with secondary fire, as long as you can track her movement everything will be fine.
VS. : Zenyatta can outrange Zarya with Orb of Destruction, highly damage her in combine with Orb of Discord. Zenyatta's low mobility means that he can't escape Zarya once he is caught on the same ground. He can fight back to Zarya, but not before she activates her Barrier to fight him back. The Barrier may remove Zenyatta's Orb of Discord, but not too long when it expires. With high-charged, Zarya can make a quick work on Zenyatta who has no escape mechanic. Your Graviton Surge does the same effect on Zenyatta like most heroes, pulling him in the center. While Transcendence can't be used to escape from Graviton Surge, he can heal his allies who get into the ultimate. You can't outdamage his overwhemling healing, so try to communicate with your teammates to do so. Guard yourself from his long-range attack and getting close to him you will be fine.
Aleksandra Zaryanova is one of the world's strongest women, a celebrated athlete who sacrificed personal glory to protect her family, friends, and country in a time of war. As a soldier in the Russian Defense Forces, she is proud to use her strength to protect the ones she loves.
Aleksandra was born in a remote Siberian village that was on the front lines of the Omnic Crisis, which began some thirty years ago. Although Russian forces defeated the omnics and shut down their omnium, the region was devastated by the conflict. Only a child at the time, Aleksandra was surrounded by the post-war destruction, and as she grew older, she swore that she would gain the strength to help her people recover.
Focusing on weightlifting and bodybuilding, Aleksandra was identified by the national athletics program as a potential star. She trained extensively, moving up the ranks while representing her country, and was expected to shatter longstanding records in the upcoming world championships.
But on the eve of the tournament, an attack came from the long-dormant Siberian omnium, and her village was thrust into war once again. Aleksandra immediately withdrew from the competition and rushed home to enlist in the local defense forces, sacrificing the life of fame and fortune she might have had. The magazine Богатыри reported on her departure.
Now she serves—a symbol to some, a stalwart fellow soldier to others. But for Aleksandra, it is a chance to use her great strength to protect the ones she loves.
A New Assignment
After a trio of Talon agents tried to assassinate Katya Volskaya of Volskaya Industries, Zarya was summoned to her office. After being asked whether she knew why she was here, Zarya responded that she believed she did.
|Keep Zarya's Particle Cannon above 70 power for 60 seconds in Quick or Competitive play.|
|Capture 5 enemies in a single use of Zarya's Graviton Surge in Quick or Competitive play.|
- Zarja (заря) is a Russian word for "dawn".
- Zarya's particle cannon was ripped from the hull of an armored vehicle during battle, and is too heavy for most soldiers to carry. Her gloves conduct and amplify the energy flowing through it.
- Zarya's design emerged from player demand for a greater diversity of genders, body types, and ethnicities.
- With her hairstyle, she bears resemblance to a Russian Blizzard employee, Tamara Bakhlycheva. It's unknown whether it was intentional or not.
- The 512 tattoo on her shoulder is apparently her weightlifting record; two of her sprays depict a 512kg set of weights. This is a higher record than any woman's set in the Olympics to date, though not the highest ever recorded (although under the current format it exceeds all present records).
- Zarya is the only character in the game whose melee animation differs if viewed in 1st person versus 3rd person.
- Zarya is a playable character in Heroes of the Storm.
Patch Notes History
For more information, see Patch Notes
December 13th, 2016
- Hero Balance Change
- Particle Barrier/Projected Barrier
- Attacks like Reinhardt's Fire Strike or Hanzo's Dragonstrike that deal damage to both the barrier and the hero within the barrier, no longer deal damage to the barrier twice
- Developer Comments
- This is a bug fix, but we think it's significant enough to warrant a separate note. We've had a long-standing bug that caused "piercing" damage to hit Zarya's barrier twice. Sometimes this benefited Zarya (for example, jumping in front of Reinhardt's Fire Strike was a good way to generate a large amount of energy quickly), and sometimes it really hurt her (Genji’s Dragonblade, for example, would cut through her shield in one swing, instead of two). This change isn’t intended to buff or a nerf to Zarya. We're simply trying get her abilities working as they should, and we’ll keep an eye on how it affects her balance.
November 15th, 2016
- Hero Balance Change
- Ultimate costs have been increased by 25% for all heroes
- Developer Comment
- Game-changing ultimate abilities were coming up a bit too frequently. This change helps keep them in check while still allowing them to be powerful.
- Particle Barrier
- Power gained from barriers decreased by 20%
- Projected Barrier
- Power gained from barriers decreased by 20%
- Developer Comment
- Considering her potential damage output, Zarya was starting to feel like a mandatory pick in most situations. Rather than reduce her damage output, this change makes achieving her maximum power and damage output slightly more difficult.
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug preventing Zarya from gripping her gun’s handle in the “Deadlift” highlight Intro
- Fixed a bug causing Zarya’s Graviton Surge to eject Reinhardt at high velocity
- Bug Fixes
- [PC Only] Fixed a bug that sometimes caused Zarya’s alternate fire to scale incorrectly with her damage boost modifier
June 21, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause projectiles to hit Reinhardt instead of his Barrier Field in "High Bandwidth" Custom Games
- Reduced the chance for larger projectiles (i.e. Hanzo's arrows, Zenyatta's orbs) to hit targets around corners
- Zarya, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2015-03-09
- Machines of War, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2016-09-04
- Overwatch, Zarya Quotes
- 2016-08-15, The Ultimate Overwatch Workout. Twitter, accessed on 2016-08-15
- 2015-02-26, Magazine. Twitter, accessed on 2015-03-16
- 2015-08-04, Volskaya Industries CEO announces increased mech production after new attacks from Siberian omnium.. Twitter, accessed on 2015-08-11
- Заря - Wiktionary
- Overwatch Visual Source Book, pages 104-105
- 2015-03-06, PAX East 2015 Blizzard Panel | Blizzplanet (1/2). YouTube, accessed on 2015-03-19
- List of world records in Olympic weightlifting - Wikipedia
- Machines of War, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2016-09-04
| Heroes in Overwatch|