Barriers are semi-transparent, semi-permeable structures that block incoming damage and most projectiles. Barriers can also block line of sight for certain abilities. They do not prevent heroes from crossing, nor block any melee attacks. Some attacks can pierce barriers. Barriers only affect the opposing team.
Barriers have shields for their HP. Unlike the shields on heroes, barriers' shields only regenerate while the barrier is inactivate, and with a 2 second delay instead of 3. Since most barriers are always active once deployed, the only barriers that can regenerate are the ones that can be recalled back. Like all shields, they are destroyed by EMP.
List of barriers[edit | edit source]
|Hero||Barrier||HP||Duration||Cooldown||Shield regeneration rate||Notes|
|Brigitte||Barrier Shield||250||Any||5 seconds if destroyed||85 per second, after 2 seconds|
|Orisa||Protective Barrier||600||20 seconds||10 seconds||
|Reinhardt||Barrier Field||1600||Any||5 seconds if destroyed||200 per second, after 2 seconds||
|Sigma||Experimental Barrier||900||Any||1 second when recalled
5 seconds if destroyed
|120 per second, after 2 seconds||
|Symmetra||Photon Barrier||4000||12 seconds||
|Winston||Barrier Projector||700||9 seconds||13 seconds||
|Zarya||Particle Barrier||200||2 seconds||10 seconds||
|Projected Barrier||200||2 seconds||8 seconds||
Abilities whose lines of sight are blocked by barriers[edit | edit source]
Projectiles that bounce off barriers[edit | edit source]
Abilities that travel through barriers[edit | edit source]
- B.O.B.: B.O.B. can charge through barriers, but barriers block his arm cannons
- Immortality Field: The generator can travel through barriers
- RIP-Tire: The tire can travel through barriers, but barriers block the explosion
- Biotic Orb: The orb can travel through barriers, but barriers block line of sight for the damage/healing
- Halt!: The orb can travel through barriers, but barriers block line of sight for the pull
- Protective Barrier: The projectile launched to deploy the barrier can travel through barriers
- Translocator: The beacon can travel through barriers
- Sentry Turret: The turrets can travel through barriers, but barriers block the beams they emit
Attacks and abilities that pierce barriers[edit | edit source]
- B.O.B. (charge)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Unlike most barriers, Zarya's barriers are pink and smooth on the surface.
- Originally, they were blue with hexagonal patterns like all the other barriers.
- Bastion used to generate a curved barrier in front of him while in Sentry mode.
- Barriers are often informally called "shields."