|"Never stop fighting for what you believe in."|
|Ana Amari (أنا عماري)|
Overwatch second-in-command, captain (formerly)
|Egyptian security forces (formerly)|
|Sam (husband/partner) |
Fareeha Amari (daughter)
|Aysha Selim (English)
Martina Treger (German)
- 1 Overview
- 2 Abilities
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Match-Ups and Team Synergy
- 5 Story
- 6 Achievements
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Videos
- 9 Patch Notes History
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Ana's versatile arsenal allows her to affect heroes all over the battlefield. Her Biotic Rifle rounds and Biotic Grenades heal allies and damage or impair enemies; her sidearm tranquilizes key targets, and Nano Boost gives one of her comrades a considerable increase in power.
Ana is a mid to long-range Support sniper, capable of healing at any range while also maintaining a fair level of damage output. Her Biotic Grenade lets her amplify healing effects from not only her own healing darts but also from other Supports and environmental healing, such as Payloads and Health packs. She has a sidearm which will fire a Sleep Dart, which can render the enemy who's hit with it temporary useless unless someone wakes them up. Nano Boost is a supportive ultimate that is used to provide strong buffs to an ally, allowing them to deal more damage while taking less damage from the enemy. She can also be an anti-healer as her Biotic Grenade will prevent enemies hit by the blast from getting healed in any way, making her an outstanding support. Ana lacks all source of mobility and only has her sidearm to protect herself, making it easy for her to be outflanked by the flankers as well as other mobile heroes.
Weapons & Abilities
- Biotic Rifle : Ana's primary weapon. It carries fourteen rounds in a single clip and is able to affect both teams, healing allies for 75 HP and dealing 70 damage to enemies. It comes equipped with a scope which makes Ana's shots hitscan at the sacrifice of vision of her surroundings and movement speed.
- Ana's rifle is unique in that it deals its damage and heals in rapid segments, rather than all at once. Even it deals 4 rapid segment within 1 shot, the damage over time effect is not mitigated by armor.
- While Ana does relatively less damage compared to other snipers, the Biotic Rifle allows Ana to switch back and forth from the roles of combatant to healer, similar to Moira.
- Only scoping when you have to do. When unscoped, your shot will be hardly visible for the enemy team to find your location. With scoped, it leaves your shot a bullet tail which reveal where you are firing from. Considering use a quick-scope in order to minimize the time you reveal your position and effectively burst an ally from long-range when needed.
- Even though it is a sniper-rifle weapon, it can't deal a critical shot. This makes it pointless to try hitting headshots.
- Sleep Dart : Ana's sidearm. It is her personal anti-flanker tool. Firing a single projectile that travels at high speeds, it will inflict the Sleep status effect on an enemy. While asleep, one cannot move, attack, or use abilities, and audio will sound lower-pitched and distorted. The effect lasts for five and a half seconds, but can be cut short by any amount of damage.
- Sleep Dart deals very little damage to the target but can still kill them (trying to get a kill with a Sleep Dart is not advisable).
- Sleep Dart is excellent at mitigating channeled ultimate abilities such as Genji's Dragonblade or Soldier: 76's Tactical Visor, and can make the work of large, mobile tanks who often attack snipers much harder.
- Ana must be in constant communication with her allies to get the most out of Sleep Dart. Any amount of damage, whether it be a stray bullet or an explosion, is enough to rouse one who is under Sleep Dart's effects.
- Much like with Mercy's Resurrect, certain targets are of a higher priority than others. Along with enemies using ultimate abilities, your main targets should either be enemy tanks or an immediate threat to your team. Do not try to use Sleep Dart on faraway enemies.
- Biotic Grenade : The Biotic Grenade will heal reasonable health upon being cast, and during its four seconds of duration will increase the healing rate of any allies hit by the grenade by 50%. Meanwhile, the enemies hit by the grenade will be damaged and unable to receive healing at all for the duration.
- The grenade is the only way for Ana to heal herself outside of health packs.
- The Biotic Grenade is a fantastic tool for healing heroes with large health pools. Under the increased healing, a critically injured tank will only require a few darts to get back into the fight.
- The grenade also serves well as an emergency burst heal for both allies and Ana herself, should an enemy flank them.
- The blast radius of the grenade is fairly small, so one should throw the grenade directly onto teammates as opposed to near them.
- It can still be helpful to use its blast radius to hit targets otherwise unreachable; for example, throwing the grenade at a wall behind Reinhardt's shield, rather than directly at him.
- Biotic Grenade is a strong ability to use in team fights, throwing directly to a group of enemies and allies alike will dramatically gain an upper hand.
- Biotic Grenade can both counter an enemy Zenyatta's Transcendence, and synergize with a friendly one.
- The grenade is a surefire way to counter Wrecking Ball's ultimate, as it deals more damage to the mines than they have health.
- Nano Boost (Ultimate): Ana's Ultimate ability. Ana will temporarily embolden an ally, giving them 50% increased damage and immunity to 50% of all incoming damage for 8 seconds before it expires. It also instantly heals 250 HP.
- Nano Boost can't be missed; It ignores Genji's Deflect and D.Va's Defense Matrix.
- While under Nano Boost's effect, one's character model will glow either
- Try to save Nano Boost for allies with available ultimate abilities. Soldier: 76, Reinhardt, Genji, and Roadhog are all excellent choices for a Nano Boost. Certain ultimates (such as Hanzo's) will not be affected by Nano Boost.
- Remember that Nano Boost instantly heals 250 HP on use. Consider your situation when you have it available; would it be better to save an ally at critical health, or boost another teammate's damage?
- While Ana has reasonable to outstanding damage capabilities like other damage dealers, she is unable to deal any critical shots and suffers from low mobility. You must focus on healing your allies rather than playing like DPS-heroes; you can't act like them well on your own.
- Ana can provide more healing than other supports due to her fast fire-rate and Biotic Grenade. Playing her as a sole support will lead the enemy to prioritize you as the first target, so additional supports are recommended.
- Ana is a sniper class, which is deadly at attacking the enemy from extreme range. You can kite the enemy that your teammates can't attack back like rivaled snipers or airborne targets with ease. Keep in mind that you can't deal a critical shot nor heavy damage that will put them in lethal levels instantly, so try to stay in cover or a friendly's barrier.
- Biotic Grenade is a strong counter to all healing effects; such as Roadhog's Take a Breather, Zenyatta's Transcendence or even an opposing Ana's Biotic Grenade. You can throw the grenade directly to the enemy and contact your teammates to gang up on the effected target as they can't be healed.
- Missing a Sleep Dart to flankers will result in your disadvantage. Try to practice your aim and adjusting the dart's speed.
- Ana has a combo on her own with Sleep Dart;
- Sleep Dart > Biotic Rifle shot > Biotic Grenade > Quick Melee. Combo damage is 165, enough to take out a flanking Tracer.
- A target under the effect from Sleep Dart will be rendered useless and unable to make any actions. If your combo can't finish the target, communicate your team to do so. Reinhardt's Charge is a great choice to finish the target if he doesn't need to cover your team with barrier at that time.
- Don't let the other teammates interfere in your line-of-sight while activating Nano Boost on the target. You have to communicate with your teammates to whom you will give the ultimate and always have space in your line-of-sight, so you can avoid giving Nano Boost to a wrong target that can't bring your ultimate to any usefulness, such as Lúcio or Mercy.
- The common targets for your Nano Boost should be damage dealers rather than tanks. While boosting tanks will give them a better chance of surviving and greatly increase their damage, you will force them to move out of their position to attack the enemy, in order to not waste the damage buff gains from Nano Boost. Nano Boost works best when paired with damage dealing ultimates like Soldier: 76's Tactical Visor or Reaper's Death Blossom.
- Even though the Nano Boosted-hero will take less damage by 50%, the effected hero can still die if the enemies are focusing on the boosted-hero. Try to heal the boosted-hero continuously, so that they won't die in the most important engagement.
- As Ana can both heal allies and damage enemies, along with Biotic Grenade's amplifying healing; she can gain the ultimate charge quickly, so you can use the Nano Boost on your target to push or to defend depending on the situations much faster than other healers.
Match-Ups and Team Synergy
|D.Va's Defense Matrix can negate all of your projectiles, including your Biotic Grenade and Sleep Dart. Her Boosters give her extremely strong mobility, letting her pounce on you if she thinks you're vulnerable and quickly flee if the fight isn't turning out how she'd like. You'll need to be smart about when to use your abilities, waiting until after D.Va drops her Defense Matrix. D.Va is an extremely large target, so without Defense Matrix she'll be very easy to hit. Should you land a Sleep Dart on her, it's better to regroup with your team rather than trying to kill her, as her high health will make it very difficult for you to kill her once she awakens. At a distance, D.Va deals almost no damage, so feel free to fire away to chip at her health and build up Ultimate charge. If D.Va is distracted by someone else, she can easily be shot in the back or hit by Sleep Dart from behind with little risk. The best way to avoid being harassed by D.Va is to stick close to teammates who are good at dealing with her, such as Reaper, Mei and Roadhog.||(To be added)|
|(To be added)||(To be added)|
|You and Reinhardt will both struggle to kill each other. His barrier will shut down all of your attacks, and his huge health total makes him hard to kill. However, he is very slow while using his shield and his only ranged attack is Fire Strike. He'll almost never be in a position to attack you unless he ambushes you or hits you with a Charge, and even if he's barreling your way, his very large hit box makes him extremely vulnerable to being put to sleep. While Sleep Dart can take Reinhardt out of the equation, killing him is another story entirely, so instead you should try to find your team and have them kill him. Biotic Grenade will also help deal with Reinhardt if he drops his shield, as it will prevent allied healers from healing him and make him easier to kill. If Reinhardt has his barrier up but is alone, you can simply walk past his shield and hit him point blank with a Sleep Dart. Beware Earthshatter, as once you're hit with it, you're as good as dead.||(To be added)|
|Roadhog is a huge threat in close quarters with his Chain Hook, but if you keep your distance he's an easy target. If he shows himself out in the open, fire away at a distance or even try to land a Sleep Dart shot if you're feeling lucky. If he gets into his Hook range, it's imperative to quickly hit him with a Sleep Dart; if you fail, he'll most likely grab and kill you. Unless you can remain at a safe distance, it's best to stay behind a Tank's barrier to stay safe from him. Biotic Grenade will completely nullify his Take a Breather's healing, drastically weakening his survivability. Try to quickly hit him with Sleep Dart if he activates Whole Hog; even if someone wakes him up, his Ultimate will be used up.||(To be added)|
|(To be added)||(To be added)|
|(To be added)||(To be added)|
|Winston is one of your greatest threats due to his high health and excellent mobility. If he leaps on you with Jump Pack and drops his Projected Barrier, you'll need to either get inside the barrier and quickly hit him with a Sleep Dart or backpedal away from it so he's forced to leave its protection to continue attacking you. Without his barrier he's an easy target for Sleep Dart, but once he awakens he'll be exceedingly hard to kill, as well as to avoid being killed by. If Winston activates Primal Rage, quickly knock him out with a Sleep Dart and leave him be so his Ultimate's duration will be wasted.||(To be added)|
|Be careful around Zarya and her Barriers; they'll block your standard fire, Sleep Dart, and Biotic Grenade with ease, all while making her more powerful. She's lacking in mobility, but so are you, meaning if she advances on you it can be difficult to disengage. Try to stay far away from Zarya and watch for when her Particle Barrier is on cooldown. In a pinch, if you and your team are grabbed by Graviton Flux, you can hit yourself with Biotic Grenade to quickly heal some of the incoming damage your team is taking.||(To be added)|
|(To be added)||(To be added)|
|Bastion's large hit box makes him very easy to hit, even from around corners where he can't shoot back. Sleep Dart will immediately force him out of Sentry Configuration into Recon Configuration, and can also be used to put him out of commission during Configuration: Tank. Biotic Grenade can block off his Self-Repair, but you generally shouldn't be close enough to hit him with it as then you'll be close enough for him to retaliate and kill you. If Bastion is behind a barrier, you'll need the rest of your team to deal with him, though a focused push together with your team can get you close enough to land Biotic Grenade on him without being killed. Otherwise, stay out of his field of view and only attack from behind cover.||(To be added)|
|(To be added)||(To be added)|
|Genji excels at flanking, and he has all the tools necessary to get into optimal range to hunt you down. Be careful when using Biotic Grenade and Sleep Dart, as he can use Deflect to turn them against you or nearby teammates. When using Biotic Grenade against Genji, aim for the ground near Genji rather than Genji himself, and you'll be less likely to have it Deflected. Sleep Dart is an excellent counter to disable Dragonblade. Should you hit him with a Sleep Dart, don't wake him unless your teammates are nearby and can help you gang up on and kill him.||(To be added)|
|Hanzo's heavy damage afar and up close makes him a dangerous opponent. Hanzo can use Wall Climb and Lunge to attack from unexpected angles, so be vigilant. Like you, he has no range drop-off, though his accuracy is worse than yours at long range. Meanwhile, when up close you have the advantage of your Biotic Grenade, but he can burst you down with Storm Arrows. Sleep Dart can incapacitate him for an easy kill, but it may be difficult to land on him if he's situated at a higher ledge. This is a fairly even fight; while Hanzo does more damage, your weapon is more accurate than his, even if it doesn't do as much damage. Use your team to your advantage; snipe from behind the protection of a barrier so you can safely land your shots without being hit in return.||(To be added)|
|Junkrat's Concussion Mine and Steel Trap won't be a major threat if you stick with your team and keep your distance from him. Try to avoid a direct confrontation with him, as his Frag Grenades, while inaccurate, are devastating if they hit and can kill you in two shots. However, if he is out in the open you can easily pick him off from a distance or hit him with a Sleep Dart. This is a very feast-or-famine match-up; if Junkrat is your line of fire, he can quickly be picked off, but if he stays out of your view, you'll need to watch for his area denial tactics.||(To be added)|
|McCree has solid range, very high accuracy, and high damage, making it relatively easy for him to pick you off at range. Likewise, his Flashbang can incapacitate you in close quarters. However, his lack of mobility makes him a relatively easy target for you to hit, and at longer distances you'll be able to out-damage him. Sleep Dart can shut him down, especially if you hit him while he's preparing Deadeye. Keep your distance, and only approach tighter spaces with your team so you aren't ambushed.||(To be added)|
|If a Mei is trying to freeze and kill an enemy, continuously heal them to make sure their health remains at a safe level to where an Icicle headshot won't kill them. Mei is at her most dangerous to you in close quarters, but her poor mobility can help you keep your distance while also making her an easy target for Sleep Dart. If Mei tries to fight you at a distance, you'll win every time. However, Mei's ability to create ice walls can severely disrupt your ability to both heal her allies and attack her enemies, all while allowing Mei's team to get closer to you while under cover. Ice Wall can also disrupt an ally hit with your Nano-Boost, cutting off their line of fire. Blizzard is very difficult to escape due to your lack of mobility, which is yet another reason to keep your distance from Mei as much as possible.||(To be added)|
|You are one of the best possible counters to Pharah. Your extreme range combined with high accuracy and reasonably high damage can make short work of Pharah if she floats out in the open. While it is difficult to hit Pharah with Sleep Dart if she's alert, should you hit her she'll be an easy target for your team to gang up on. If Pharah activates Rocket Barrage, a quick Sleep Dart can save your team, which will be easier to land due to her being stationary.||(To be added)|
|Watch your back when Reaper is around, as he can use Shadow Step and Wraith to move around the map and attack you from unexpected angles. He only needs a single headshot followed by a quick melee to kill you, and he can escape with Wraith Form should the fight go sour. However, he is a loud flanker and has a large, making him easy to hit with the Sleep Dart. Reaper has no means of attack at a distance, so if he's out in the open but far away he's an easy target. Biotic Grenade will prevents his self-healing from The Reaping. If Reaper uses Death Blossom, quickly hit him with a Sleep Dart to cut it off.||(To be added)|
|Soldier: 76's excellent range, high accuracy, quick movement and rapid damage output will make him a devastating opponent if you run into him alone. However, you do have a few means of self-defense. His healing ability will be completely shut down with a Biotic Grenade, and because he cannot simultaneously shoot and sprint, he's vulnerable to attacks and Sleep Dart while he's shooting at you. Still, avoid needless one-on-one confrontations with Soldier: 76 and try to put your teammates between you and him.||(To be added)|
|Sombra's ability to get behind your team to attack from unexpected angles using Stealth and Translocator makes her dangerous. If you and Sombra get in a fight and it is going poorly for Sombra, she can easily teleport away and save herself, with little ability for you to chase her down and finish her off. However, landing a Sleep Dart on Sombra will likely result in her death due to her low health. While you should be able to chase Sombra away, she can end up distracting you to the enemy team's advantage. Unless you can land a Sleep Dart on her, try not to engage with Sombra and instead stick close to your allies and have them gang up on her before she can teleport away.||(To be added)|
|Your low mobility will make it very dangerous to walk through corridors if a Symmetra has Sentry Turrets in place. Unless you hit Symmetra with a Sleep Dart, she will fry you with her Photon Projector in a direct fight. Try to keep your distance, focusing on healing allies who are hit by Symmetra's turrets. Be careful about holding the back line, though; a Symmetra Teleporter can pop up from behind you, and if you're alone when her teammates come pouring out, you'll be out of luck. If Photon Barrier is active, try to wait before using Nano-Boost, as your ally's efforts will be much less effective with a huge barrier in the way.||(To be added)|
|Your unlimited range can allows you to attack Torbjörn's turret from far outside of its range in more wide-open areas, and your high accuracy allows you to quickly peek out, shoot the Turret, and then retreat to cover without taking damage. Torbjörn himself lacks mobility and is easy prey to both sniper fire and Sleep Dart at range. Torbjörn is dangerous at close range with Overload active, but a quick Sleep Dart can save you. Be especially careful about staying away from Torbjörn if you think he has Molten Core ready, as your low speed will make it difficult to escape his magma.||(To be added)|
|Tracer's extremely high mobility makes her difficult to hit, and her Recall allows her to undo damage and Biotic Grenade's anti-healing effect. While her low health will let you kill her in two hits, Tracer is likely to simply run away if hit and it is very difficult to prevent her from doing so. Tracer's ability to get behind your team and attack you point blank with her powerful weapons makes her very dangerous. Try to hit Tracer with a Sleep Dart if she's heckling you; if you miss, get your team to deal with her before they're down a healer.||(To be added)|
|Widowmaker can kill you with two bodyshots or one headshot, giving her an overall advantage in sniping; however, Widowmaker herself is not a fast-moving target under normal circumstances and is vulnerable to being counter-sniped by your higher rate of fire and Sleep Dart. A splash of a Biotic Grenade can hit Widowmaker hard should you end up in close combat, but he Grappling Hook can get her back into a position where she's more comfortable fighting you. If attempting to counter-snipe Widowmaker, it's imperative that you wisely use cover or barriers, as Widowmaker doesn't need to land as many shots as you do to finish the fight.||(To be added)|
|Sleep Dart is the best tool to stop a Nano-Boosted enemy, meaning that enemy Anas will have to watch each other very carefully. Biotic Grenade's ability to cut off healing makes you a great anti-support character; try to hit a group of enemies Ana is trying to heal, while also making sure to not be hit by her own Biotic Grenade. Whoever is hit will be unaffected by their team's Ana's healing, which includes her own Biotic Grenade. If you encounter each other without your teams and enter a sniper duel, just be sure to smartly use cover to stay safe from her shots. While killing the enemy Ana is nice, you staying alive for your team is more important, so prioritize her safety over her death if you must.||(To be added)|
|(To be added)||(To be added)|
|(To be added)||(To be added)|
|As with all healers, Ana's Biotic Grenade can cut off Lúcio's healing ability, and its wide area of effect makes it easier to hit the wily and mobile Lúcio. However, even when effected by Biotic Grenade, Lúcio can provide a speed boost to his team to keep them mobile. Sound Barrier is also treated as shields, not healing, meaning that any enemies effected by Biotic Grenade will still gain massive amounts of health. Outside of Biotic Grenade, you'll need to predict Lúcio's path while Wall Riding if you want to hit him with rifle shots, which can be difficult with his high speed. Lúcio has no means of fighting you at a distance, though, so if he's in your sights, pelt him with bullets to quickly take him down. Be careful around cliffs; a wily Lúcio can easily use Soundwave to send you to your doom.||(To be added)|
|Biotic Grenade will completely cripple Mercy's ability to heal, leaving her with only her damage boosting and her pitiful Caduceus Blaster. If she's out in the open, try to make her a priority.||(To be added)|
|(To be added)||(To be added)|
|Zenyatta's Orb of Harmony and Transcendence can both be cancelled out by hitting his teammates with Biotic Grenade. While you and Zenyatta both excel at a distance, you're more suited for peeking in and out of corners to safely land hits on him. Try not to stay out in the open with Zenyatta is around, as he can quickly take you down with a succession of Orb of Destruction shots. Allies hit with Orb of Discord will take much more damage, making it harder for you to keep them alive, so use Biotic Grenade if you need to and get your teammates to stay behind cover or a barrier. A Nano-Boosted ally will have much more difficulty if Zenyatta uses Transcendence, so try to either kill him first or hit his allies with Biotic Grenade.||(To be added)|
One of the founding members of Overwatch, Ana uses her skills and expertise to defend her home and the people she cares for. Hailing from a long line of decorated soldiers, Ana inspired confidence and loyalty in her colleagues and endowed her daughter, Fareeha Amari — Pharah, with an intense sense of duty and honor. Like her daughter, she bore a tattoo of an Eye of Horus as a symbol of protection. Likewise, her callsign in the Egyptian Military during the Omnic Crisis was "Horus."
Ana is regarded as one of the world's deadliest snipers. She originally used a Kinamura rifle, upon which she added a notch for every life she took. Each life weighed heavily on her conscience, and while some snipers preferred to wound targets, in order to lure out more potential targets, she preferred to perform clean kills, disliking causing needless suffering. Her right eye, originally cybernetic, made her vision six times greater than normal, to the extent where she rarely even needed to use the scope. While procedures exist that could repair her cybernetic eye, she feels comfortable with her eyepatch, seeing it as a reminder of who she is now. She continues to experience phantom pain from the eye injury.
Even by her own admission, Ana is a poor cook and field dresser, having had to rarely use the latter skill.
As the Omnic Crisis inflicted a heavy toll on Egypt, the country's depleted and undermanned security forces relied on elite snipers for support. Among them was Ana Amari, who was widely considered to be the world's best. Her superior marksmanship, decision-making, and instincts made her a natural selection to join the Overwatch strike team, of which she was one of the founding members. During the conflict, she was present in the battle at Rio de Janeiro. Overwatch successfully ended the war.
At some point in time, Ana met the wife of fellow agent Gérard Lacroix, Amélie Lacroix. Two weeks after Amélie was rescued by Overwatch from being kidnapped, Gérard was killed and Amélie was believed to have been kidnapped once again.
Following the success of Overwatch's original mission, Ana served for many years as Strike Commander Jack Morrison's second-in-command. She raised her daughter, Fareeha, during this time, instructing her in martial arts. Despite her responsibilities in leading the organization, Ana refused to step away from combat operations. She was aware of her daughter's desire to join Overwatch herself, but Ana was against it. This led to a strained relationship between mother and daughter. At some point, Fareeha asked for a toy rifle, but Ana refused, telling her daughter that she'd shoot her eye out. She later came to regret her comments. She remained on active duty well into her fifties, and was stationed at Watchpoint: Gibraltar at some point.
|“||You think we should get involved.
I didn't say that. But in the end, it should be our choice. Your choice.
|~ Jack and Ana|
Seven years before the present day, the King's Row Uprising occurred. Alongside Morrison and Reyes, Ana listened to Jesse McCree, who was on the ground in King's Row, observing Null Sector's actions. Ana asked Reyes what McCree was doing in London, since Blackwatch operations were suspended. Reyes evaded answering the question. To Ana's frustration, the prime minister still refused to allow Overwatch to intervene. In conversation with Morrison, Ana admitted wanting to do something, but while Morrison shared that desire, Overwatch had come under unfavorable scrutiny recently, and they could ill afford another public relations nightmare.
Ana's last mission was an anti-Talon operation conducted by Overwatch; part of a force led by Jack Morrison which rescued a number of scientists that Talon had taken hostage. While Overwatch was successful in this regard, the Talon operative known as Widowmaker was able to take out a number of agents. The operation led to a sniper duel between her and Ana, as they made their way throughout the urban terrain. Ana was able to temporarily incapacitate Widowmaker, hitting her in her helmet. But upon seeing Widowmaker's face, she froze, recognizing her as Amélie. It was all the time Widowmaker needed to take her own shot, shooting Ana through the scope of her rifle and into her cybernetic eye. It was believed that the shot killed her.
In truth, Ana survived that encounter, despite being gravely wounded and the destruction of her cybernetic eye. The world believed that she was dead. She woke up in Poland with temporary amnesia, unable to remember who she was or how she was injured. She was treated under the Polish generic Janina Kowalski by Dr. Lee, where she requested to retain her anonymity as her memory returned. Lee obliged, and Ana was kept out of the system, which helped ensure that Overwatch failed to find her. During her months-long recovery, she was able to recall the details of the mission. She even let her daughter believe that she was dead, as she reasoned that Fareeha would expect "Captain Amari" to return home. However, with that moment of hesitation in her sniper duel with Widowmaker, she realized that she changed. Years later however, she'd come to regret her decision to leave Fareeha in the dark. Wrestling with the weight of a life spent in combat, she chose to stay out of the world's growing conflicts. She heard about the destruction of Overwatch Headquarters and the supposed death of Jack Morrison. However, she had her doubts as to whether he'd actually died.
Ana ended up returning to Cairo. She'd originally planned to live quietly, so that she could be near her daughter. However, the longer she lived here, the more she realized that Overwatch was responsible for the problems plaguing Cairo. As time passed, she realized she could not sit on the sidelines while people threatened her city and the innocents around her. Thus, Ana rejoined the fight to protect her country from the forces that would destabilize it, and most importantly, to keep her family and her closest allies safe. She wrote a letter to her daughter, explaining her absence. However, she never received a response.
|“||I don't care about your war, but I do care about you. You need me, Jack. You need someone to watch your back.||„|
|~ Ana to Jack Morrison|
Continuing her fight for justice, Ana operated under the alias of "Shrike," and was wanted for espionage, assault, and theft in Egypt. She used the Necropolis as her base of operations, and took care of the relics she found there before sending them to Dr. Hamid Faisal. She had come back to Egypt in part due to her guilt over the fallout of the Anubis project. Disguised as a masked bounty hunter, Ana sabotaged several Talon operations in Egypt, drawing attention from Reaper and his associate Abdul Hakim, as well as Jack Morrison, still alive despite his supposed death years ago. After days of lying in wait, she caught sight of Hakim in one of his palaces. The conflict came to a head when Ana and Morrison were lured into a trap at Hakim's compound in Giza, leading to a battle between the three former comrades. Though Ana sided with Jack and forced Reaper to retreat after unmasking him, she was disturbed by his visage and parting words, reminding her that Overwatch had been responsible for their suffering. Following the encounter Ana explained that she cared about Jack, not the war he was fighting, and resolved to watch over him as the two departed.
Ana was left with the realization that Jack and Reyes were actually alive. Still, living or not, Jack had been wounded by Reyes. Hearing the sound of police sirens, they went to ground, staying out of sight. Still suffering from his wounds, Jack passed out, forcing Ana to take him to her base in the Necropolis. She gave him tea after he woke up. The wound was still giving him trouble, despite his enhanced healing abilities. Ana suggested that they contact Dr. Angela Ziegler, but Jack refused. The two discussed their pasts and their objectives—Jack was going after Reaper and Talon. However, he needed her help. Ana told him to rest first, and despite Jack's protestations, he passed out—Ana had drugged the tea.
Jack was out for two days, over which Ana spent time gathering supplies. She explained her motivations for her actions in Egypt, but claimed that Jack's crusade against Talon was based on revenge. The two disagreed on how to approach things, with Jack focusing on the larger threat of Talon, while Ana wanted to focus on Cairo. Jack gave up and stormed out, leaving Ana alone to use his computer. She could see that Jack had been tracing Reaper's movements. Jack returned later in the night, and made a deal—he'd help Ana capture Hakim. After that, they'd go after Reaper. Ana accepted under the condition that they also apprehend Hakim's associates. Jack agreed. They were still in Egypt during Christmas.
Within a week, they'd rounded up a number of Hakim's associates, whittling away at his organization. After the initial burst, Hakim went to ground, turning their hunt into a waiting game. On stakeout, they finally caught sight of Hakim, at which point Ana took out her Bastet mask. She explained that Jack's Soldier: 76 persona had inspired her. As "Bastet," she wouldn't be a hunter, but a protector.
A week later, Hakim had been captured and his organization dismantled. Ana's actions as "Bastet" had caught the attention of Egypt's media, and even forced the government to act. At the Necropolis, Ana stated that she'd leave most of the items she'd collected behind, that they'd stay here until she found a caretaker. Jack asked her about Fareeha, pointing out that it would be awhile before they were in Egypt again. Ana gingerly replied that she'd left a message. Jack told her that Fareeha would come around in time. The two left the Necropolis, Ana still carrying her Bastet mask.
|Interrupt an enemy Ultimate Ability with Ana's Sleep Dart in Quick or Competitive play.|
|Get 4 kills or assists with a single use of Ana's Nano Boost in Quick or Competitive play.|
- Ana is Hero 22 and the first new hero added to the game.
- Ana's story draws parallels with the story of Horus from Egyptian mythology. During an altercation with a former friend (in this case, Widowmaker), she lost her eye. Additionally, both her and Pharah possess an eye of Horus tattoo.
- Her voice actress is an Egyptian woman who was recorded from Cairo. The voice actress's name, Aysha Selim, was not revealed until September 29, 2016 in a reply on the official forums.
- Ana was added to the PTR on July 12, 2016. She was added to the live PC version of the game on July 19, 2016.
- Ana is the sixth playable hero in Heroes of the Storm.
Ana was the first hero added to the game after its launch. Blizzard began with the knowledge that they needed another healer, since Lucio and Mercy were showing up in every game. A concept was the Alchemist, a character who could drink from a decanter and then jump really high, or provide an extra-long heal over time. Meanwhile, the team were struggling to place the personality of Ana, which they’d conceived independently. Her backstory positioned her as a crack sniper, but the game already had Widowmaker. It was thus decided that the hero would be both a healer and a crack shot, using her rifle both offensively and defensively. The Alchemist concept was phased out within a few weeks. Influences for Ana's visual design were post-apocalyptic themes and imagery. The designers wanted to show her as someone who was rugged and resourceful, living on the edges of society. Her "Wasteland" skin is based entirely around this idea. Strap, pipe, and cannister designs in the skin were used to emphasize a character that was scrounging anything she could to survive.
Several PR assets on Blizzard's press center website for Ana are labeled "Shrike" instead of "Ana", suggesting that her placeholder name during development was Shrike. The name Shrike was used for one of her epic skins, in which she wears a mask previously seen in pre-release easter eggs.
Ana was teased on Temple of Anubis, with an opened document picturing her wearing her Shrike mask. Her scope could be seen being worked on in a GameSpot video. Also in the video was an early prototype with a modified Widowmaker model seen in the character selection screen, in the support section.
Patch Notes History
For more information, see Patch Notes
January 24th, 2017
- Hero Balance Update
- Biotic Grenade
- Effect duration has been reduced from 5 seconds to 4 seconds
- Healing boost on allies has been decreased by 50%
- Developer Comments
- The healing boost from Ana’s Biotic Grenade was providing too much healing, especially when used on targets with large health pools.
November 30th, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug that prevented Ana from being selected in 1v1 matches
November 15th, 2016
- Hero Balance Change;
- Dealing damage to things other than players (like Torbjörn's turret or Symmetra's teleporter) no longer charges ultimate abilities
- Ultimate costs have been increased by 25% for all heroes
- Developer Comment
- Game-changing ultimate abilities were coming up a bit too frequently. This change helps keep them in check while still allowing them to be powerful.
- Nano Boost
- No longer increases move speed
- Developer Comment
- The increased speed from Ana’s Nano Boost made the ability feel unstoppable and forced Ana players to select targets that could really take advantage of the speed boost. Removing the speed boost means that Ana has a reason to apply Nano Boost to a larger variety of heroes, and enemies can fend off the attack more easily.
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug that prevented Ana’s healing stats from showing up in the Career Profile page
- Fixed a bug that prevented Ana’s custom crosshairs from displaying while zoomed
October 19th, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed an issue preventing Ana’s Nano Boost callouts from being heard by the enemy team
October 11th, 2016
- General Update
- Heroes hit by Ana's Nano Boost have a new voice line that informs other players
- Hero Balance Updates
- Nano Boost
- Ultimate cost has been increased by 20%
- Biotic Grenade
- Radius has been increased from 3 to 4 meters
- Developer Comments
- So far, we haven't seen any indication that Ana is too strong overall, but her ultimate charges a little too fast, especially considering the impact it can have on a match. Also, her Biotic Grenades are getting a small boost to help her hit multiple targets.
September 30th, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug that allowed the payload to heal players, even when they were negatively affected by Ana’s Biotic Grenade
- Fixed a bug preventing the health bars on the Practice Range bots from displaying the effects of Ana’s Biotic Grenade
- Smoothed the animation during Ana’s zoom-release transition
September 1st, 2016
- General Updates
- When activating the "Needs healing" communication while targeting a teammate, Ana, Lúcio, Mercy, and Zenyatta will now tell allies to group up to receive healing. A marker will also appear above the player's head, allowing teammates to locate the healer more quickly
- Bug Fixes;
- Fixed a bug in the Custom Game settings preventing the Ability Cooldown modifier from affecting Ana
- Appropriate sound effects now play when Ana shoots barriers, shields, and armor
- Ana’s scope now correctly displays all custom reticle options
- Ana’s attacks and abilities now activate the controller’s rumble function
August 2, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug that was affecting the majority of Ana’s “Most in Game” career statistics
- Fixed a bug that caused Ana’s Biotic Grenade to miss an allied Reaper while in Wraith Form
- Fixed an issue hindering Ana from restoring allies to full health
July 26, 2016
- Hero Balance Updates
- Biotic Rifle
- Rate of fire increased by 20%
- Magazine size increased from 8 to 10
- Developer Comments
- While Ana has been very well received, she was showing to be a little bit weaker overall. In addition to helping her feel better to play, these changes should also increase her healing and damage output.
- Bug Fixes;
- Targets of Ana’s Sleep Dart will no longer instantly recover when damaged (recovery time is now 0.5 seconds)
July 21, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- The correct hit pip sound will now play whenever one of Ana’s darts impact with a barrier
- All of Ana’s in-game sounds now have proper occlusion
July 19, 2016
- Patch Features
New Hero: Ana (Support)
After being out of the fight for several years, one of Overwatch's founding members is returning. Introducing Ana — a battle-scarred veteran who supports her teammates from a distance using a unique and highly specialized collection of weapons.
Ana’s primary weapon is her Biotic Rifle, which fires long-range darts that can restore the health of her allies or deal ongoing damage to her enemies. Meanwhile, her Biotic Grenade is perfect for a close-quarters clash, simultaneously healing teammates and injuring foes caught in its small area of effect. (Affected allies will also receive a temporary increase to all incoming healing, while affected enemies can’t be healed for a few moments.) And if the battle starts to get out of hand, Ana's sidearm can fire a Sleep Dart, knocking her adversaries unconscious.
Plus, Ana's ultimate ability, Nano Boost, empowers one of her teammates, granting faster movement, increased damage, and resistance to enemy attacks.
To learn more about Ana, click here.
- General Updates
- Added Ana as an AI-controlled hero in Practice vs. AI, Play vs. AI, and Custom Game modes
- 2018-02-22, Overwatch Twitter, Twitter'. Accessed on 2018-02-25
- Ana, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2016-07-12
- Pharah Quotes
- Pharah, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2016-05-22
- Pharah: Mission Statement
- Overwatch, Ana Cosmetics
- Ana: Legacy
- Overwatch, Ana Quotes
- 2015-05-24, Overwatch is Back: Uncertainty and Hope After UN Confirms Vigilante Activity. Blizzard Entertainment., accessed on 2016-5-25
- Ana Origin Story
- Heroes of the Storm
- Tracer: Uprising
- 2017-04-12, Welcome to Overwatch Uprising!. YouTube, accessed on 2017-04-12
- 1 Year Anniversary, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2017-05-24
- Ana: Old Soldiers
- Tracer: Reflections
- 2016-07-13, BLIZZARD HIRED EGYPTIAN ACTRESS TO VOICE ANA IN OVERWATCH. IGN, accessed on 2016-08-11
- 2016-09-29, "We were extremely fortunate to work with a very talented Egyptian actress named Aysha Selim on the voice of Ana (who we recorded all the way from Cairo!)" Michael Chu. Battle.net forums, accessed on 2016-09-29
- 2016-07-12, OVERWATCH PTR NOW AVAILABLE - JULY 12, 2016 Playoverwatch, accessed on 2016-11-06
- 2016-07-19, [PC Overwatch Patch Notes – July 19, 2016] Battle.net forums, accessed on 2016-11-06
- 2017-09-15, Blizzard Virtual Press Tour: Ana, Junkrat and Volskaya Foundry Map coming to the Nexus. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2017-09-17
- 2016-08-11, Overwatch's Ana was nearly a potion-swigging alchemist. PC Games, accessed on 2017-07-11
- [[The Art of Overwatch]
- 2016-05-19, Fans believe a new Overwatch hero called Sombra could be unveiled on Monday. Eurogamer, accessed on 2016-08-11
- 2016-07-06, Blizzard releases major hint about Overwatch’s next character (update). Polygon, accessed on 2016-08-11
- 2016-07-06, Overwatch Is Still Hiding Lots of Clues About A Mysterious Character. Kotaku, accessed on 2016-08-11
- Overwatch Games Press, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2016-08-11
- Documents depicting Ana wearing her Shrike mask. Temple of Anubis.
- 2016-04-21, The Story of Overwatch: The Fall of Titan, 00:09 Youtube. Accessed on 2016-07-10
- 2016-04-21, The Story of Overwatch: The Fall of Titan, 15:25 Youtube. Accessed on 2016-07-10