Cairo is the capital city of Egypt. It is located near the ancient ruins of the Giza Plateau and the Temple of Anubis. A number of opulent palaces dot the city, and its infrastructure has been described as "patchwork."
History[edit | edit source]
Cairo, along with the rest of Egypt, suffered as a result of Overwatch shutting down the Anubis project. The city ended up under the control of Abdul Hakim, who used his power and influence to make himself and his followers rich, squeezing the life from the city in the process. The police and government either turned a blind eye, or were paid off. Food supplies weren't delivered to the people who needed them, and medical care became almost impossible to get. Curfews weren't imposed, but people were encouraged to stay indoors after sundown for their own protection. However, Hakim was apprehended through the efforts of Ana Amari and Jack Morrison, and his network dismantled. The news reported on the actions of "Bastet" (Amari's persona), and as such, the government was forced to act.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Cairo was listed as a payload map in a pre-release version of Overwatch. The artwork for the map was later used for the Temple of Anubis.
- A fan-made Cairo map was created by Joshua Llorente using Unreal Engine 4. The map caught the attention of Jeff Kaplan, who wrote "amzing work! we'll be in touch."
References[edit | edit source]
- Overwatch Visual Source Book
- Tracer: Uprising
- 2017-11-05, OVERWATCH ARCHIVES PANEL. Blizzpro, accessed on 2017-11-19
- 2017-12-29, Fan-made Cairo map for Overwatch is so good it gets Jeff Kaplan’s approval. Blizzard Watch, accessed on 2017-12-31