Chris Metzen was the senior vice-president of creative design and story development at Blizzard Entertainment. He worked on creating the Overwatch setting. Metzen had envisioned creating a superhero universe for years prior to working on the game.
Metzen joined Blizzard in 1994, at the age of 19. He had originally envisoned himself bouncing around from positions in the film, comics, and game industries. He describes himself at the time as "a stupid-ass kid with some potential" who "loved drawing and making stuff up."
Metzen worked with Blizzard's cinematic team, and gave feedback on its storyboards. He provided the voice of Bastion. He left Blizzard in late 2016, entering retirement. As a parting gift, he was presented with a statue of himself holding a baby Winston.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Zenyatta is one of Metzen's favorite heroes in the game.
- Soldier: 76 was an original creation of Chris Metzen; art of the original Soldier: 76 was posted to the "Sons of the Storm" blog even before World Of Warcraft was created. The majority of his design was kept for the hero that is in Overwatch today.
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 2015-11-24, BlizzCon 2014 – Overwatch Unveiled Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-03-03
- 2015-12-10, How Blizzard is making up Overwatch's story as it goes. PC Gamer, accessed on 2015-12-24
- 2014-10-03, THE THREE LIVES OF BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT. Polygon, accessed on 2014-10-04
- 2015-05-27, BlizzCon 2014 – Overwatch Origins Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-05-31
- 2016-06-07, "Bastion is voiced by Chris Metzen, ran through several software plugins and voice modulations.". Reddit (originally from the Overwatch art book). Accessed on 2016-06-23
- 2016-09-13, A MESSAGE FROM CHRIS METZEN. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2016-09-13
- 2016-09-18, Chris Metzen’s going away present is this amazing statue. Blizzard Watch, accessed on 2016-09-16
- Sigma Gameplay Reveal with Seagull and Jeff Kaplan. Twitch, accessed on 2019-7-23
- 2014-11-24, BlizzCon 2014 – Overwatch Unveiled Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-03-08