|Outskirts of Stuttgart, Germany|
Background[edit | edit source]
The town was the site of one of the most famous battles during the Omnic Crisis. It was here that the leader of the Crusaders, Balderich von Adler, and a handful of his best soldiers, including his pupil, Reinhardt Wilhelm, made a last stand against an advancing automaton army. Since Eichenwalde was in the way of a larger omnic advance to Stuttgart, the town was evacuated on October 11, from 3 to 8 o'clock. Outnumbered and outgunned, almost all Crusaders were slain during the resulting combat, including the organizations leader. However, thanks to their valiant efforts, the German military was able to push back the omnic offensive and win the fight. In the present day, Eichenwalde lies abandoned, and the forest has slowly begun overtaking the village. However, the scars of war will never completely fade.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
One team must escort a battering ram to Eichenwalde Castle to reclaim Balderich’s remains from their current resting place, while the opposing team does everything in its power to stop the keep from being breached.
Known Locations[edit | edit source]
- Brauerei Mittagskrug
- Die Zaubertröte
- Computerwelt Von Ritgen
- Jagdhütte Edelweiß
- Eichenwalde Castle
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- This section is a stub section. You can help by adding any available information to this section.
Attack[edit | edit source]
Assault[edit | edit source]
When fortified, the bridge ahead of the payload can be difficult to push through. A way around this is to cross the large gap to the right of the attackers spawn that leads behind the payload. Pharah and D.Va can easily cross the gap. Genji can also cross but is much more difficult, requiring precise timing. Lúcio is also capable but is not recommended as he is more useful to his team by staying with them.
A very useful spot for Symmetra's teleporter in the Castle (At the end of the map) is the balcony overlooking the final checkpoint. If a Symmetra can successfully sneak past the defenses, she can place a teleporter on the balcony far enough back so that the Defense team can't see it. Once walking through the teleporter, allies can simply walk about 5 feet forwards and right down to the payload.
Another cool thing to do is to take a comp with Genji, D.va and Pharah(with or without mercy); they can go over the house with a hole in the roof, so they can backstrike the eventual Reinhardt or Orisa and his team. Of course it's less efficient if opponents are defending on the top just behind the point. Whereas, D.va can use matrix so the team can attack this pack of enemies.
Defense[edit | edit source]
Reinhardt and Orisa are good while defending the bridge (chokepoint). Also watch out for Tracer and Sombra as they might sneak past your team and get on point, distracting your formation allowing others to push in. Always take back chokepoint if you killed all of the enemy team and they're busy respawning. Bastion is also good at defending with Reinhardt or Orisa. Moira is also good, for throwing damage orbs through the chokepoint at the bridge.
Assault[edit | edit source]
Defensive teams should fortify the bridge ahead of the payload in the first capturing section. This will be a key choke point as there aren't many ways for the attacking team to go around.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The horns of Diablo are mounted in the hunting lodge.
- Reinhardt's name is carved into the bar table in the tavern.
- Kosakenzipfel, an item on the bakery menu, is a fictional food from a German comedy sketch.
- There is a bonfire from the game series Dark Souls in one of the hallways in the castle.
- Balderich von Adler, leader of the Crusaders, was born here according to one of Reinhardt's voice lines for this map.
- In the instrument shop, the pianos can produce different sounds based on where you hit them.
- Eichenwalde almost translates to "oak forest" in German. The in-game map, however, has only pine trees.
- The destroyed bastion units found laying about the map have guns on both arms, whereas the playable bastion has a gun on its right arm, and a normal hand on its left.
360° Panorama[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 2016-08-16, GamesCom 2016 – Overwatch new Map Eichenwalde. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2016-09-04
- Honor and Glory
- 2016-08-23, Eichenwalde Easter Eggs. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2017-11-05
- 2016-08-16, Eichenwalde | New Map Preview | Overwatch. Youtube, accessed on 2016-08-16.
- 2016-09-01, Overwatch Patch Notes – September 1, 2016: Patch Highlights, Battle.net Forums. Accessed on 2016-09-01.