|“||And an omnic who runs a casino in Monaco...Maximilien or something.||„|
|~ Gabriel Reyes|
|Casino Monaco, Monaco|
|Talon (council member)|
|Stephane Cornicard (English)|
Story[edit | edit source]
Maximilien started as an accountant, but found his true talent in money laundering. Over the years, he found wealth in the businesses he purchased and ran, such as Don Rumbotico, Casino Monaco, and other businesses around the world.
Retribution[edit | edit source]
Maximilien was known to Blackwatch at least eight years prior to the Overwatch Recall. After the death of Antonio (of whom he was an associate), Maximilien was among those who stepped up to fill the void he'd left.
Storm Rising[edit | edit source]
Six years before the Recall, Overwatch struggled to arrest Doomfist. Overwatch agent Sojourn recommended that they instead capture Doomfist by targeting Maximilien, and she sends a strike team of Tracer, Mercy, Winston, and Genji to arrest him. Maximilien was believed by Overwatch to be "soft" and more likely to give information to Overwatch than other members of Talon. He escaped initial capture and fled through the Don Rumbotico distillery to the Havana Sea Fort, but he was captured before he could board a helicopter out of the city. Immediately, he offered to make a deal with the strike team and ultimately agreed to arrange "an introduction" with Doomfist. He told Overwatch that Doomfist would be in Singapore in three weeks, leading to Doomfist's arrest, and in exchange requested that Overwatch not tell Doomfist of his betrayal.
Masquerade[edit | edit source]
Maximilien met with Doomfist and Widowmaker at a casino in Monaco shortly after Doomfist's prison break. There he apprised Doomfist of goings-on within Talon, reaffirming his loyalty to Doomfist's cause and warning him that some within the organization would have preferred to see him remain behind bars. After defeating a group of hitmen sent by Vialli, a rival Talon council member, Doomfist asked Maximilien to clean up the mess and departed.
Maximilien later met with Doomfist, Reaper, and other members of the inner council in a hidden boardroom at a masquerade ball in Venice, Italy, where Doomfist discussed his plans to start a new war.
List of Property Owned[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Maximilien is the same first name as Maximilien Robespierre, icon of the French Revolution known for his Reign of Terror, a political time of persecution, mass execution and fear which led to King Louis XVI's execution, as well as Robespierre's betrayal and execution of his own friends, until Robespierre himself was eventually executed.
- Maximilien is a French variant of the Latin name Maximilianus, derived from the names of two Roman generals: Maximus and Aemilianus.
- During the casino scene of Masquerade and during the Storm Rising Archives event, Maximilien is shown wearing a golden pin in the shape of the symbol for the livre tournois (₶), an out-of-circulation currency formerly used in France. The livre tournois was the primary monetary unit in France from the 17th century until the franc was established in 1799 to reflect political changes that occurred in the country during the French Revolution.
- As illustrated in the Storm Rising trailer, Maximilien has an idle habit of performing the coin walk using a yellow Casino Monaco poker chip (yellow being the most commonly used color for $1000 chips).
References[edit | edit source]
- 2019-04-15. Michael Chu on Twitter, Twitter. Accessed on 2019-04-15.
- Overwatch Retribution
- Blackwatch Dossier
- 2019-04-08. Overwatch on Twitter: "> Accessing archived file... Decryption status: IN PROGRESS Target: Located… ", Twitter. Accessed on 2019-04-08.
- Overwatch Storm Rising. "Winston: Why are we going after Max anyway? What about Doomfist or some of the other targets? / Mercy: Of all the Talon associates we've identified, we think he's the most likely to give us information. / Genji: Translation: He's soft."
- Overwatch Storm Rising. "Maximilien: Surely, we can make some kind of deal. / Mercy: You are in no position to negotiate. [...] / Maximilien: Perhaps it's not clear what I have to offer. My resources are quite substantial. Let me ask: what might you be in the market for? / Mercy: An introduction. / Maximilien: Ah! And who is it you would like to meet?"
- 2019-04-25. Overwatch on Twitter: "> Accessing archived file... Decryption status: COMPLETE 📂 STORM RISING INTEL EXAMINATION – MAXIMILIEN… ", Twitter. Accessed on 2019-04-25.
- Doomfist: Masquerade
- 2019-04-09. Michael Chu on Twitter: "₶… ", Twitter. Accessed on 2019-04-13.
- Franc | currency, Encyclopedia Britannica. Accessed on 2019-04-13.