Pachimari is an in-universe fictional character. It is a creature that resembles an onion with a smiling face and green tentacles. Throughout Overwatch, pachimaris appear in multiple forms of media including plush toys, signs, film posters, and clothing.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The creation of Pachimari came out of the need for toys in Hanamura's "UFO catchers" (Pachimari-brand claw machines). It was designed by concept artist David Kang who was inspired by the Korean word for onion which sounds like "pa."
- Because they are not essential to gameplay, pachimari plushes will not load within the Hanamura UFO catchers unless your own in-game graphics settings are "Medium" or higher. Graphics are now on "Low" by default, which is the most probable reason why certain veteran PC Overwatch players say that the pachimaris have "disappeared" from Hanamura. There is a chance that one player in a match will be able to see and interact with them, but a teammate cannot, further complicating this mystery for PC players.
- Strangely, the footballs hidden in some of the UFO machines do, in fact, generate on "Low".
- On Nintendo Switch (and possibly other consoles), there is no way to increase graphics quality above "Low", so Switch players can never see pachimari plushes on Hanamura, but they will still see one in the spawn room of Control maps.
- Regardless of graphics settings, a single pachimari can be found on a table in the "MV-261 Orca" vehicle, which serves as the spawn room on Control maps (such as Ilios).
- Roadhog is frequently depicted stealing Pachimari plushes, implying that he has a liking for them. He has a UFO catcher filled with pachimaris in his barn on the outskirts of Junkertown. This makeshift wooden structure is also the "Attack" spawn room, making it the second map (after Hanamura) to feature the UFO catcher.
- Roadhog has two sprays and an emote featuring the pachimari, confirming his interest in them.
- The sounds that pachimari plushes make when hit were created by Justin DeCloedt using a squeaky toy and a baby rattle.
- Real life Pachimari plushes are available from Blizzard's Gear Store.
- Pachimari were temporarily featured in an Overwatch-themed event in Heroes of the Storm.
- Pachimari also became themed sprays in Heroes of the Storm.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Roadhog stealing Pachimari plushes as seen in A Moment in Crime
Films and Games[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 2017-11-29, Overwatch's Little Onion Octopus Has Become A Sensation Kotaku. Accessed on 2017-12-24.
- 2016-09-02, AMA Request - The Overwatch Sound design team Paul Lackey, Reddit, accessed on 2016-10-10
- 2017-09-15, Blizzard Virtual Press Tour: Ana, Junkrat and Volskaya Foundry Map coming to the Nexus. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2017-09-17