Skins are cosmetics that modify the appearance of the player's heroes, changing their outfit or color scheme. There are skins of every rarity, with the Common skin being the default, Rare skins being simple recolors, Epic skins being more advanced recolors and sometimes simple outfit changes, and Legendary skins being complete outfit changes and sometimes including alternate Ultimate call outs or extra voice lines. Most skins can be unlocked by opening loot boxes or buying them with credits, but some skins have special prerequisites or must be unlocked out-of-game.
There are 363 skins obtained from normal loot boxes in-game.
There are 211 skins which cannot be obtained from normal loot boxes:
- 1 is unlocked as a preorder bonus: Noire (Widowmaker).
- 5 are unlocked by attending BlizzCon or purchasing the Blizzcon Virtual Ticket:
- BlizzCon 2016: BlizzCon 2016 (Bastion).
- BlizzCon 2017: BlizzCon 2017 (Winston).
- BlizzCon 2018: Demon Hunter (Sombra).
- BlizzCon 2019: Illidan (Genji) and Tryrande (Symmetra).
- Since Summer Games 2019, WEEKLY CHALLENGES are introduced every time there's an event. You have to at least win 9 games in Quick Play, Competitive Play, or the Arcade to unlock sprays, player icons, and striking skins. Each week brings new rewards to earn! There is always 3 weeks for 3 different skins. They can not be unlocked by loot boxes or bought.
- 5 Blizzard skins are unlocked by purchasing the Origins Edition: Overgrown (Bastion), Security Chief (Pharah), Blackwatch Reyes (Reaper), Strike-Commander Morrison (Soldier: 76), and Slipstream (Tracer)
- 37 summer games skins can be unlocked from Summer Games loot boxes or while the event's still happening buy them with coins. The skins are: Cabana (Ana), Tropical (Baptiste), Feskarn (Brigitte), Tre Kronor (Brigitte), Karate (Doomfist), Taegeukgi (D.Va), Waveracer (D.va), Surf's up (Echo), Nihon (Genji), Kendoka (Genji), Wave (Hanzo), Beachrat (Junkrat), Cricket (Junkrat), Seleção (Lúcio), Striker (Lúcio), American (McCree), Lifeguard (McCree), Eidgenossin (Mercy), Winged Victory (Mercy), Lifeguard (Pharah), Biker (Reaper), Gridironhardt (Reinhardt), Lacrosse (Roadhog), Grillmaster: 76 (Soldier 76), Mexicana (Sombra), Tulum (Sombra), Tre Kronor (Torbjörn), Surf 'N' Splash (Torbjörn), Sprinter (Tracer), Track and Field (Tracer), Tricolore (Widowmaker), Côte d' Azur (Widowmaker) , Catcher (Winston), Lúcioball (Wrecking Ball), Champion (Zarya), Weightlifter (Zarya) and Fastball (Zenyatta). For the Weekly Challenges 2019. Week 1 : American (Reaper). Week 2 : Zhongguo (Mei). Week 3 : Bundesadler (Reinhardt).Challenges 2020, Week 1 : Union Jack (Tracer). Week 2 : Sand Castle (Bastion). Week 3 : Ice Cream (Orisa).
- 35 can be unlocked from Halloween loot boxes: Ghoul (Ana), Corsair (Ana), Pharaoh (Ana), Warlock (Ashe), Tombstone (Bastion), Swamp Monster (Doomfist), Demon (Hanzo), Dr. Junkenstein (Junkrat), Undead (McCree), Van Helsing (McCree), Pumpkin (Mei), Jiangshi (Mei), Witch (Mercy), Banshee (Moira), Demon (Orisa) , Possessed (Pharah), Enchanted Armor (Pharah), Pumpkin (Reaper), Dracula (Reaper), Coldhardt (Reinhardt), Junkenstein's Monster (Roadhog), Immortal (Soldier: 76), Slasher:76 (Soldier 76), Vampire (Symmetra), Dragon (Symmetra), Bride (Sombra), Viking (Torbjorn), Will-O'-Wisp (Tracer), Spider (Widowmaker), Scorpion (Widowmaker), Jack-O'-Lantern (Wrecking Ball), Totally 80's (Zarya), Skullyatta (Zenyatta) and Cultist (Zenyatta). For the Weekly Challenges 2019. Week 1 : Gorgon (Lúcio). Week 2 : Vampire (Baptiste). Week 3 : the BlizzCon 2018 exclusive skin: Demon Hunter (Sombra). For the weekly challenges 2020. Week 1: Fantasma (Sombra). Week 2 : Stone (Brigitte). Week 3 : Ragdoll (Echo).
- 33 can be unlocked from Winter loot boxes: Snow Owl (Ana), Winter (Ashe), Gift Wrap (Bastion), Avalanche (Bastion), Jötuun (Doomfist), Casual (Hanzo), Krampus (Junkrat), Andes (Lúcio), Snowfox (Lúcio), Scrooge (McCree), Mountain Man (McCree), Mei-rry (Mei), Sugar Plum Fairy (Mercy), Frostbite (Pharah), Shiver (Reaper) Rat King (Reaper), Festive (Reinhardt), Rudolph (Roadhog), Ice Fisherman (Roadhog), Rime (Sigma), Alpine: 76 (Soldier: 76), Peppermint (Sombra), Rime (Sombra), Figure Skater (Symmetra), Santaclad (Torbjörn), Jingle (Tracer), Biathlon (Widowmaker), Yeti (Winston), Frosted (Zarya), Snowboarder (Zarya) and Nutcracker (Zenyatta).For the Weekly Challenges 2019. Week 1 : Ugly Sweater (Soldier: 76). Week 2 : Holly (Moira). Week 3 : Snow Angel (Mercy).
- 31 can be unlocked from Lunar New Year loot boxes: Tal (Ana), Rooster (Bastion), General (Brigitte), Opera (Brigitte), Palanquin (D.Va), Baihu (Genji), Huang Zhong (Hanzo), Firework (Junkrat), Samul Nori (Lúcio), Magistrate (McCree), Chang'e (Mei), Luna (Mei), Fortune (Mercy), Zhuque (Mercy), Mask Dancer (Moira), Sanye (Orisa), Qinglong (Pharah), Lü Bü (Reaper) ,Wujing (Reinhardt), Guan Yu (Reinhardt), Bajie (Roadhog), Face Changer (Sombra), Qipao (Symmetra), Zhang Fei (Torbjörn), Rose (Tracer), Hong Gildong (Tracer), Black Lily (Widowmaker), Wukong (Winston), Xuanwu (Zarya), Sanzang (Zenyatta) and Zhuge Liang (Zenyatta).For the Weekly Challenges 2020. Week 1 : Monk (Doomfist). Week 2 : Ancient Bronze (Winston). Week 3 : Paper Cutting ( Wrecking Ball).
- 32 can be unlocked from Archives loot boxes: Sniper (Ana), Socialite (Ashe), Talon (Baptiste), Null Sector (Bastion), Gwishin (Bastion), Talon (Doomfist), Blackwatch (Genji), Scion (Hanzo), Circus (Junkrat), King Jamison ( Junkrat), Equalizer (Lúcio), Blackwatch (McCree), Deadlock (McCree), Pajamei (Mei), Combat Medic Ziegler (Mercy), Blackwatch (Moira), Scientist (Moira), Null Sector (Orisa), Aviator (Pharah), Soldier: 24 (Reaper), Lieutenant Wilhelm (Reinhardt), Milita (Roadhog), Formal: 76 (Soldier: 76), Talon (Sombra), , Chief Engineer Lindholm (Torbjörn), Ironclad (Torbjörn), Cadet Oxton (Tracer), Talon (Widowmaker), Specimen 28 (Winston), High Roller (Wrecking Ball), Racer (Zarya) and Workout (Zarya).For the Weekly Challenges 2020. Week 1 : Holi (Symmetra). Week 2 : Rustclad (Torbjörn). Week 3 : Bear (Mei).
- 38 can be unlocked from Anniversary loot boxes: Little Red (Ashe), Dune Buggy (Bastion), Stealth (Bastion), Shieldmaiden (Brigitte), Riot Police (Brigitte), Midnight (D.Va), Cruiser (D.Va), Academy (D.va), Carbon Fiber (Doomfist) Formal (Doomfist), Sentai (Genji), Cyberninja (Hanzo), Bilgerat (Junkrat), Bitrate (Lúcio), Jazzy (Lúcio), Sherlock (McCree), Beekeeper (Mei), Honeydew (Mei), Dragoon (Mercy), Forest Spirit (Orisa), Carbon Fiber (Pharah), Bedouin (Pharah), Orbital (Pharah), Masquerade (Reaper), Toxic (Roadhog), Venom (Soldier: 76), Cyborg: 76 (Soldier: 76), Oro (Sombra), Magician (Symmetra), Oasis (Symmetra), Cybjörn (Torbjörn), Lightning (Tracer), Graffiti (Tracer), Electric (Widowmaker), Gargoyle (Winston), Submarine (Wrecking Ball), Cyberian (Zarya) and Huitzilopochtli (Zenyatta) .For the Weekly Challenges 2020. Week 1 : Carbon Fiber (Sigma). Week 2 : Fleur de Lis (Widowmaker). Week 3 : Masked Man (Mccree).
- Some Mini-events appears at random times between events, the system is based on Weekly Challenges, and the skins are usually related on cinematics or short stories. There are 8 exclusives skins : Nano (D.va), Bastet (Ana), Combat Medic (Baptiste), Brick (Bastion), Dr.Ziegler (Mercy), Mardi Gras (Ashe) Maestro (Sigma) and Comic Book (Tracer) .
- Overwatch League introduces 1433 skins in the game, with a new currency Overwatch League tokens, you can buy OWL skins with it, each one cost 100 tokens.Every heroes have 2 skins for every team.Special Skins OWL are created for All stars, MVP player and winners of last season. They cost 200 tokens and can be bought for only a limited time, there are 11 skins : 2018 Pacific All-Stars (Genji), 2018 Atlantic All-Stars (Tracer), 2019 Pacific All-Stars (Lúcio), 2019 Atlantic All-Stars (Mercy), Zen-Nakji (Zenyatta), Flying Ace (Winston), Goat (Brigitte), Thunder (Doomfist), Alien (Zarya) and soon 2020 Pacific All-Stars (D.va), 2020 Atlantic All-Stars (Reinhardt).
192 skins are no longer available for purchase, because Florida Mayhem, Los Angeles Valiant and San Francisco Shock changed their team colors.
Skin-Specific Quotes[edit | edit source]
Many Legendary skins unlock voice lines which can be triggered in-game.
- With Hanzo's Lone Wolf or Okami skins, his ultimate call outs change to "Ōkami yo waga teki o kurae!" and "The wolf hunts for its prey!" and he will say "See through the wolf's eyes" when using sonic arrow. If the "I choose you Spirit Dragon" voice line is equipped, he will instead say "I choose you Spirit Wolf".
- With Genji's Oni skin, his ultimate call out changes to "Oni No Ken Wo Kurae" and "The demon becomes me!"
- With Genji's Baihu skin, his ultimate call out changes to " Byakko No Ken Wo Kurae!" and "The White Tiger becomes me!!"
- With Genji's Blackwatch skin, there's a chance he would say " Yesss!" when he use swift strike.
- With Genji's Sentai skin, he may call out "Haaachaa!" when using swift strike.
- With Ana's Captain Amari and Horus skins, she will say "Captain Amari reporting for duty" when switching heroes, different from her normal quote.
- With D.Va's B.va and Junebug skins, she will say "All systems buzzing!" when under the effects of Mercy's damage boost.
- With Mercy's Devil and Imp skins, her friendly ultimate call out changes to "Heroes never die! ...For a price."
- With Mercy's Witch skin, her friendly ultimate call out changes to "My servants never die!"
- With Mercy's Sigrún and Valkyrie skins, her friendly ultimate call out changes to "Till Valhalla!"
- With her Raindancer or Thunderbird skin, one of Pharah's respawn quotes is "Thunderbird on-line."
- With the Punk or Ultraviolet skins, Tracer sometimes says "Heh, wanker" or "Tosser" after securing an elimination.
- With the T. Racer skin, Tracer sometimes says "Here comes T. Racer!" when switching from another hero.
- With Widowmaker's Comtesse or Huntress skins, her friendly ultimate call out changes to "No one can hide from the huntress."
- With Junkrat's Dr. Junkenstein skin, his ultimate call outs change to "Get ready for a shock!" and "Ladies and Gentlemen, my latest creation!"
- With Junkrat's Dr. Junkenstein skin, one of his respawn quotes is "He's alive, He's alive!"
- With Torbjörn's Santaclad skin, his ultimate call out will sometimes say "Merry Molten Core!"
- With Torbjorn's Barbarossa or Blackbeard skins, when saying hello, he sometimes says "Ahoy matey!"
- With Tracer's Jingle skin, there is a chance of her saying "Ho, ho, ho!" or "Dashing though the snow!" while blinking or using her cheer emote. On hero selection, one of her quotes is, "Cheers Loves, the holidays are here!" Her ultimate call out sometimes changes to "Got you something!" or "Got some coal for your stocking!".
- With Winston's Frogston or Undersea skins, he can sometimes say "Excuse me for diving in" and also "Splashdown" when using his jump pack and landing.
- With Roadhog's Mako or Sharkbait skin's, he can say "Anchors away!" when using his chain hook. He also seems to say "HAHAHA ARG!... matey." in the spawn room at random moments.
- With Roadhog's Butcher skin he can sometimes say "Fresh meat" after killing a enemy.
- With Mei's Mei-rry skin, the quote "You have to let it go!" becomes "You have to let it snow!"
- With Zenyatta’s Cultist skin, his ultimate voice line “Experience tranquility” becomes “Experience Nothingness”, and "Pass into the iris" becomes "Pass into the unknown". The activated voice line "The iris embraces you" is changed to "The iris consumes you", and "Blessings and peace be upon you" becomes "Curses and madness be upon you".
- With Zenyatta's Fastball skin, casting a Discord orb will sometimes result in saying "And the pitch!", "Here's a little chin music.", and "Right down the middle". A final blow on an enemy can result in the phrase "It goes down swinging", and switching to Zenyatta wearing this skin will be announced with "Zenyatta on the mound."
- With Lucio's Slapshot or Breakaway skins sometimes upon being melee attacked he will say "Come on man,drop the gloves!!" referring to the sport hockey on which his skin was based
- With Soldier 76's Grillmaster skin, his Biotic Field voice lines change to "Get over here and drink up!" and "Anyone in need of some cold refreshment?" If the "Respect your elders" voice line is equipped, he'll instead say "respect the chef."
- With McCree's Lifeguard skin, when he uses Deadeye, he'll sometimes say "It's high tide." Also when using his Flashbang, he'll say "No running!" and "Don't run."
- With Ana's Corsair Skin, when saying hello, she'll sometimes say "Ahoy, matey!"
- With Junkrat's Bilgerat skin, when someone spawns in with the skin, he'll say "Junkrat, ready to set sail!", Also when saying hello, like Ana, he'll say "Ahoy, matey!"
- With Soldier: 76's Strike Commander Morrison skin, at the beginning of the round, he'll sometimes say "It is my privilege to lead you into battle."
All heroes skins[edit | edit source]
All heroes skins can be found HERE
References[edit | edit source]
- The Butcher skin for Roadhog is a reference to the Butcher enemy in the Diablo series