StarCraft is a real-time strategy series that continues to be popular in South Korea. Global competitions are held featuring its multiplayer gameplay, allowing skillful players to become celebrities of sorts.
Hana Song's father was the one that introduced her to StarCraft while she was growing up, and her undeniable skill helped lay the foundation for her eventual e-sports victories as D.Va in other games.
Allusions to StarCraft in Overwatch
- Widowmaker has a "Nova" skin, which changes her appearance to that of Nova Terra. Her rifle is changed to a C-20A rifle that Nova uses.
- A Sarah Kerrigan variant of Widowmaker's Nova skin variant named "Kerrigan" was given out for the StarCraft 20th anniversary celebrations. Her rifle has Kerrigan's Terran Confederacy ghost designation, No. 24601. Erroneously, the unlock message for the skin calls Kerrigan "one of the deadliest Dominion operatives," when Kerrigan never served as a ghost when the Terran Dominion was formed.
- Orisa's "Immortal" skin is based off of a protoss immortal. The skin features the Khalai Caste symbol, and changes her Supercharger into a pylon.
- Among the unlockable portraits in the game are the symbols of the Dominion Marine Corps ("Terran"), Zerg Swarm ("Zerg"), Khalai Caste ("Protoss") and Terran Dominion ("Dominion") as well as the heads of Jim Raynor ("Jim"), Sarah Kerrigan ("Queen of Blades") and Artanis ("Hierarch"). The "16-Bit Hero" portrait is also that of a pixilated Jim Raynor in marine armor, and the "Siege Mode" portrait is that of a bearded marine. "Siege Mode" and "16 Bit Hero" ("GL HF") also have sprays associated with them.
- In Overwatch's theatrical trailer, a Terran Dominion logo can be seen on one of the soldier's shoulder pads.
- In the offense spawning point of Hanamura, there are various arcade machines that reference different Blizzard franchises. One, named Siege Mode 3, contains a terran siege tank facing down against a marine, with a vulture occasionally speeding by. Another is named Lost Vikings VI, and contains a terran viking, which is a reference to the Blizzard property "The Lost Vikings", the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty campaign minigame, and the unit. Finally, there are machines named Fighters of the Storm (a reference to Heroes of the Storm) which show the characters Tychus Findlay and Sarah Kerrigan.
- In the offense spawning point of Route 66 level, a comic on the diner's counter is named "Craft from the Stars." The comic's cover has the faces of Jim Raynor, Sarah Kerrigan and Zeratul, as well as a protoss mothership surrounded by battlecruisers. Next to it is an open comic that has Kerrigan and a blue marine. This comic also appears in the Reunion cinematic. One of the nozzle labels for the soda machine behind the counter has the symbol of the Zerg Swarm.
- D.Va has an unlockable emote named "Game On," where she plays a holographic game where she controls a terran viking.
- The character design of McCree may have been based on early StarCraft concept art for the unused character of Prospector Logann. Later concept art of the character shows McCree standing on a hydralisk with terran dropships in the background.
- The Blizzard World map has multiple StarCraft elements, along with Blizzard's other IPs. Areas includes an Pylon Terrace, The Nexus Experience, Spawning Pool Water Park, Nydus Worm Slide, the Hatchery Petting Zoo, Overlord Transport, Command Center Lift Off, Ghost Academy, and Journey to Aiur.
- Journey to Aiur is advertised as "seen in preserver vision VR," with pictures of zealots and Artanis.
- Toy marines, zerglings and SCVs can be found around the map. When shot, they give the unit's death noise. Backpacks around the park have the StarCraft logo, and some cups are shaped like marines.
- The park features a large pylon, a siege tank, and a massive Nexus that serves as the defense's initial spawning point. In the background of the Journey to Aiur, a gateway and generic protoss structures can be seen.
- Next to the ghost academy, there are mineral outcroppings with probes mining them.
- Speakers outside of The Nexus Experience and Ghost Academy will play the Terran 3 soundtrack from the first StarCraft. Speakers inside the Nexus Experience will play the track "Firstborn" from StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. The Pylon Terrace cafe will play the StarCraft 1 Protoss Briefing Room track.
- The announcer in the Nexus Experience and Pylon Cafe area is reminiscent of the adjutant. The adjutant voice will advertise mineral, vespene and creep flavored creamsicles, as well as ravager-dogs, stimpack sodas, and carrier strollers.
- One of the announcements talks about the Journey to Aiur ride, and advertises it with "join your brethren to retake your homeland with... mixed results." This is a reference to the failed Reclamation of Aiur at the beginning of StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void.
- A tribute room to Blizzard Entertainment co-founder Michael Morhaime was added to the map, with a picture of Morhaime wearing his trademark shirt with the terran symbol. In addition, the release dates for the various StarCraft titles are shown along the wall, and a copy of the original StarCraft with its release date (1998) is displayed on the right wall.
- The Overwatch cinematic "Reunion" has several StarCraft references in it.
- The opening shot focuses on the "It Came From the Stars" comic book seen on the Route 66 map.
- Zeke has zerg themed tattoos on him, including the logo of the Zerg Swarm, of Sarah Kerrigan, and a hydralisk.
- Terran, per his namesake, has terran themed tattoos, including the Dominion Marine Corps symbol, a 435 from the armor of Tychus Findlay, a tattoo of Kyla Velassi, warning bars seen on marine armor, and a n00bz figure-style marine.
- P.T. has protoss themed tattoos on him, including the logo of the Khalai Caste, a probe, and a bust of Artanis.
- Bars has a belt buckle which bears the insignia of Raynor's Raiders.
- D.Va, WCS. Accessed on 2015-11-12
- Announcer: D.Va, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2018-12-28
- 2015-12-18. Overwatch Theatrical Teaser | "We Are Overwatch". StarCraft II General Discussion Forum. Accessed 2016-02-29.
- 2017-10-17, TIL McCree from Overwatch was actually Prospector Logann from Starcraft. StarCraft Reddit, accessed on 2017-10-18