|"Build 'em up, Break 'em down."|
| Weapons designer|
Chief engineer (formerly)
| SST Laboratories (formerly)|
Ironclad Guild (formerly)
| Ingrid Lindholm (wife)|
Brigitte Lindholm (youngest daughter)
Unnamed children and grandchildren
| Keith Silverstein (English)
José Luccioni (French)
- 1 Overview
- 2 Abilities
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Story
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Videos
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Torbjörn’s extensive arsenal includes a rivet gun and hammer, as well as a personal forge that he can use to build upgradeable turrets and dole out protective armor packs.
- Damage: 12 per round, 12 per rocket
Tobjorn is the definition of "defense". He deploys a sentry that will threaten opponents, can provide assistance to his team via armor, and also has a smaller hit-box. What he achieves in power, he lacks in everything else. Torbjorn is greatly vulnerable without a turret, and he needs to rely on corners to hide. His main weakness is his turret, as he needs to make sure it is healed. Torbjorn is vulnerable to explosive characters, and anyone who has high damage.
Weapons & Abilities
- Scrap Collector (Passive): Torbjörn's passive ability. When a turret, ally, or enemy dies, Torbjorn collects scrap from them. At most, Torbjorn can hold up to 200 scrap. Torbjorn also generates 1 scrap every second. Scrap is used to create armor packs.
- Torbjorn cannot collect scrap when dead.
- Rivet Gun: Torbjörn's primary weapon. This gun is an arcing weapon but packs a punch. Rivet Gun has two firing modes: a single arc projectile, and a shotgun fire. Both modes can headshot.
- The primary fire has a bit of a slow fire rate. Try to aim for body shots to maximize accuracy.
- The secondary fire sends a burst of ammo out. While there are 10 bullets per shot, it costs only 3 rounds.
- Forge Hammer: Torbjorn's secondary weapon. The hammer is a useful tool as it heals turrets 50 health per swing. As a last resort, this can be used as a weapon.
- The Forge Hammer can only heal Torbjorn's own turret, it can't heal other turrets than the player's.
- Swing speed is relatively low, so it is not recommended to use as a weapon.
- Build Turret: Torbjorn builds an upgrade-able turret that automatically locks on to enemies. The turret can be upgraded 3 times, and doubles its health and ammo when it upgrades.
- Turret takes a bit to fully deploy, it can be destroyed while deploying.
- Torbjorn needs to hit a level 1 turret five time to upgrade it to level 2
- The turret can only be healed via the Forge Hammer
- Armor Pack: Torbjorn throws an armor pack that gives 75 armor. the armor does not stack with other armor packs.
- Armor Pack requires scrap to work. 1 Armor Pack costs 50 scrap.
- Torbjorn can create up to 4 packs at once (50 scrap x 4 packs= 200 scrap)
- Only 10 packs can be on screen at once.
- Molten Core (Ultimate): Torbjörn's Ultimate ability. Torbjorn becomes a being of flame and recieves 300 extra armor. His turret upgrades automatically (1-2, 2-3), and his fire rate doubles. His damage remains unchanged.
- Torbjorn can have a total of 650 Hit Points if he has armor and shield during Molten Core.
- The Level 3 turret gains 800 HP, recieves a rocket launcher, and doubles it's firerate.
- If the enemy is making a push, save your Ult if they start attacking your turret. The turret fully heals when Molten Core is used, you could also use it in spawn.
- While the turret has a high amount of health, it still can be destroyed quickly from a Self-Destruct, Meteor Strike, Rocket Barrage, and RIP-Tire. Be cautious when activating it.
- Players are advised to know the map well, in order to deploy his gear the most effectively.
- Torbjörn is most commonly used on Defense because of his ability to cover choke-points so effectively. One option on Attack is to deploy your turrets on top of a payload, effectively creating a mobile turret.
- While many players focus on Torbjörn's turret, it should be noted that Torbjörn himself deals a considerable amount of damage - his shotgun alt-fire does massive damage at close range, and his ordinary fire has solid range and does a not-inconsiderable amount of damage, especially with a headshot. It is important to make full use of both Torbjörn himself as well as his turret; focusing too much on using your turret will result in a lesser contribution to the team.
- Scrap is not always easy to come by. As such, give armor packs to allies with the lowest maximum health first, as they will obtain the most relative benefit compared to tank classes. If only resilient allies are present, consider giving the armor pack to yourself instead.
- Because armor from armor packs applies underneath shields, it may be worth giving armor packs to heroes with inherent shields like Zarya, Zenyatta, and Symmetra first since the armor will survive light damage and will last much longer while still providing extra survivability in emergencies.
- When using Molten Core, the tank stats and the attack speed make you a formidable opponent, capable of easily killing low-health heroes and posing danger even towards Tanks. Therefore, when using the ultimate, don't be afraid to go to the front lines and start shooting. Ideally, you should try to use it when both you and your turret are engaged in combat. However, don't be afraid to ult just to upgrade your turret when you are not around or when you need the survivability and attack speed. Be wary that there is a slight delay when you use Molten Core before the turret upgrades. In a pinch, the ultimate can also be used to quickly upgrade a turret to level 2 and subsequently 3, though this is less than ideal.
- A common mistake players make is they will sometimes stay by their turret and constantly use the Forge Hammer. This can be a good idea to use for making sure the turret survives. However, it can leave you vulnerable to Pharah's or Junkrats, as their explosives will damage you and the turret.
- Remember that Build Turret has a very quick cool-down. Change your turret's position often to catch enemies off guard.
Torbjörn Lindholm (called "Torby" by his friends) is one of the greatest weaponsmiths and engineers in the world. He has a low opinion of omnics, believing them to be incapable of empathy, instead acting purely on logic, and disagrees with giving them the same rights as humans.
The Omnic Crisis
Before the Omnic Crisis, Torbjörn had gained notoriety for designing weapons systems used by countries around the world. However, his belief that technology must serve a better vision for humanity put him at odds with his employers, who desired to control his weapons using networked computer intelligence. At some point he worked with the Ironclad Guild, where he worked in R&D. He also worked at SST Laboratories, where he helped design the E54 Bastion unit.
Torbjörn had a deep mistrust of sentient robotic intelligence, and while many of his peers wrote this off as paranoia, his worst fears were realized when the robot populations of the world turned against their human creators during the Omnic Crisis. Because of his engineering genius, he was recruited to join the original Overwatch strike team, and his many inventions proved integral to ending the conflict.
Operation White Dome
|“||I told him that you would have to agree to any name he chose, so let’s hope it's a good one (though I fear that may be beyond his abilities, given some of the ridiculous names he gives the characters in his "true stories"). I'm getting sick of this hospital, so I am hoping to return soon.||„|
|~ Part of Torbjörn's letter to his wife|
During or after the Omnic Crisis, Torbjörn took part in Operation White Dome, where he and other Overwatch members were deployed to Istanbul to deal with entrenched omnic forces. As soon as they landed, the omnics opened fire, and while the robots were defeated, Torbjörn was seriously injured, losing his arm. Reinhardt Wilhelm was able to save his life however.
After the battle, Torbjörn was taken in for medical treatment. Reinhardt stayed by his bedside, being a source of constant irritation. Half in jest, Torbjörn told him that if he shut up, he would be allowed to choose the name of his upcoming daughter, and that Ingrid would agree to it. In truth, Torbjörn had already considered naming Reinhardt as his daughter's godfather, but that aside, Reinhardt agreed to the terms. After this, Torbjörn wrote to his wife, assuring her that he was okay, and that he would design a prosthetic arm to replace the one he lost in Istanbul. He told her of the deal he had made with Reinhardt, hoping that it would be okay with her. He further hoped that he would be home in Gothenburg before she gave birth.
In the years that followed, Overwatch became an international peacekeeping force, and Torbjörn remained a critical resource for all of its technological needs and signature weapons systems. At its height, Overwatch possessed one of the most advanced armaments on the planet, which could be traced to Torbjörn's work. This included the development of biotic technology, including the biotic rifle, which was intended to heal Overwatch medics in the field. This device led to some disagreement with Angela Ziegler, who warned that the rifle was setting Overwatch on a dangerous path to weaponizing biotic technology.
During his Overwatch years, he once dressed as a viking for Halloween.
Seven years before the present day, Torbjörn was part of an unsanctioned mission authorized by Strike Commander Jack Morrison to end the King's Row Uprising in London, England. While preparing to board an aircraft, Torbjörn gruffly remarked that "the cavalry's here" after seeing Cadet Lena Oxton blink in front of him. Tracer liked the phrase, and decided to keep it.
Some time after that, Reinhardt, whose Crusader armor Torbjörn maintained and got along well with, was faced with mandatory retirement from combat operations, having served into his late fifties. Torbjörn, only four years younger than him, was particularly incensed that the organization simply "pushed Reinhardt out" after giving everything of himself in years of service. The Swede would not forget the incident, and related the unfairness of it all to one of his older daughters, Brigitte.
The End of Overwatch
In the aftermath of Overwatch's fall, many of Torbjörn's weapons were stolen or stashed away around the world. Feeling responsible for his creations, Torbjörn was determined to stop them from falling into the wrong hands and wreaking havoc on the innocent.
|“||What I've done, old friend... is topple the destroyer of worlds.||„|
|~ Torbjörn to Sven|
Torbjörn received word that a single omnic had attacked the city of Boklovo. He thought little of it at the time, but when he arrived the following day, he saw that it was nothing to scoff at. The omnic was a Titan; one that was rampaging through the city, and shrugging off everything the Kurjikstani military threw at it. He was bitterly reminded that the Titan was a device he had originally designed to aid in city construction, before it had been hijacked by the omnics during the Omnic Crisis and turned into a city-destroyer. But despite the alterations, it was still his design, and that allowed him to bypass its infrared detection systems and gain access to the walker's interior. Once inside, it was revealed that Sven, an old friend of his, was piloting the mech. The two verbally sparred as Torbjörn fought his way up to the walker's cockpit. Sven presented himself as some kind of arbiter of justice, but Torbjorn claimed that he was nothing but a war profiteer. Upon reaching the cockpit, he easily incapacitated him. He subsequently shut down the mech.
|“|| Rifles? Bah! Might as well throw rocks at the thing.
Who said that?
That would be me...who's going to take care of this beast for you.
|~ Torbjörn announces himself|
With the report of a Bastion unit in northern Sweden, Torbjörn attended a meeting of locals who were discussing the incident. While the Swedish government believed the reports to be a hoax, a speaker at the event declared that they should take matters into their own hands. Torbjörn interrupted the meeting, pointing out that the rifles they had would be useless against the automaton. He pointed out that as the unit hadn't attacked anyone yet, its self-repair function was probably damaged. A broken bot was something that he could handle. He told the townsfolk to give him a few days, and to stay put while he sorted out the unit.
Torbjörn headed out into the forest. Despite his earlier words, he was followed by an official, who wanted to make sure the job was done by the book. He revealed to Torbjörn that he'd done some digging, and had discovered that Torbjörn had helped design the E54 Bastion before the Omnic Crisis. They successfully lured the robot out, but a bird landed on their intended bait. Sighting the Bastion, the official opened fire, and the Bastion retreated. Torbjörn was skeptical as to the official's claims that the Bastion had been scared off, for in his experience, Bastions didn't retreat. The official headed off into the forest alone, confident that he and the police could handle it, despite Torbjörn's warnings. Torbjörn went his own way, mulling over what he'd just seen. Before long, he found the robot again, helping beavers build a dam. Perplexed, Torbjörn tried to goad the robot into attacking, but it just stared at him before offering some wood. Torbjörn realized that this Bastion was different from the automatons he'd fought in the past.
The moment was interrupted by the official and the police he'd brought with him, who opened fire on the unit. Torbjörn told them to stop firing, that the Bastion wasn't aggressive, and that they had to call off the hunt. The official was having none of it, and ordered the police to restrain him. Torbjörn was one step ahead of them, and incapacitated the guards using the device he'd originally intended to trap the Bastion with. He headed off into the forest. Eventually, he found the Bastion again, and the two headed off together. Torbjörn warned that they weren't friends, that if it pointed a gun at him, it would be slag. And that it had to stop playing with every animal it came across.
|Have one of Torbjörn's Armor Packs on 5 allies at the same time in Quick or Competitive play.|
|Kill 4 enemies during a single use of Torbjörn's Molten Core in Quick or Competitive play.|
- "Torbjörn" is a modern Swedish, Norwegian and Danish form of the Old Norse name Þórbjörn, meaning "thunder" (from the name Thor) and "bear". Similarly, Lindholm is a Swedish surname meaning "Tiny Linden Island". Torbjörn is also the name of a model of chair in the Swedish shop IKEA.
- Torbjörn bears resemblance to dwarves as they're usually portrayed in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe, in terms of appearance and mechanical proficiency. Other similarities include Rory Swann from StarCraft (appearance, abilities, mechanical proficiency) and the Lost Vikings in their cybernetic forms. His Viking costume in Junkenstein specifically harkens to the character of Baleog.
- The achievement "Raid Wipe" that involves eliminating 4 players with the Molten Core ultimate could be a reference to the Molten Core zone beneath the Blackrock Mountains, where a 40-man raid instance exists that involves defeating Ragnaros, a firelord elemental that rules the Molten Core zone. The term "wipe" involves a party or group being obliterated entirely, which is, though rare, used in terms of Player vs Player combat in the game of World of Warcraft. Given that Ragnaros is a highly powerful fire elemental and the raid involves a 40-man setup, the achievement bears many similarities with the game, effectively describing the scenario of the failure of the said raid. Ragnaros also rules over the Dark Iron Dwarves in this area.
- Torbjörn's abilities and turret bear a resemblance to the Engineer from Valve's Team Fortress 2, with both of them revolving around building turrets and hitting them with their melee weapon to upgrade and repair them. Both their turrets gain double firing speed at level 2 and rockets at level 3.
- In a video by Ars Technica Videos, Jeff Kaplan said that Torbjörn is listening to Survivor by Destiny's Child.
- Torbjörn's design originated from the playable Engineer class from the cancelled Project Titan, which wielded a nailgun and sledgehammer and had abilities named Large Sentry and Teleporter. Early in the development of Overwatch he was briefly named Ironclad and was invisioned with a Grav Hammer weapon and abilities named Slam and Bowling Ball, while his Teleporter would be given to Symmetra.
- Torbjörn was the first character modeled for the game. He was implemented before Junkrat, where it was anticipated that Junkrat's grenade launcher would be a natural counter for Torbjörn's turrets.
- 2018-02-22, Overwatch Twitter, Twitter'. Accessed on 2018-02-25
- 2017-11-08, Michael Chu: "If you're referring to their appearance in Reflections, the younger ones are his grandchildren.". Twitter, accessed on 2017-11-26
- 2014-11-24, BlizzCon 2014 – Overwatch Unveiled Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-03-07
- Overwatch: Torbjörn: Destroyer
- 2014-11-24, BlizzCon 2014 – Overwatch Unveiled Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-03-08
- Overwatch, Torbjörn Quotes
- Torbjörn, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2015-03-09
- Bastion: Binary
- 2018-02-24, STORY UPDATE: A LETTER FROM TORBJÖRN TO HIS WIFE. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2018-02-25
- 2016-07-06, Communications Records of Ziegler, A. – Overwatch File 00231 – Security Classification: CONFIDENTIAL. Twitter, accessed on 2016-07-07
- 2017-04-05, Overwatch Digital Comic: "Uprising" PlayOverwatch. Accessed on 2017-04-05
- Honor and Glory
- Tracer: Reflections
- 2016-12-20, Overwatch Twitter. Twitter, accessed on 2017-11-11
- 2017-11-03, Blizzard World | New Hybrid Map | Overwatch. YouTube, accessed on 2017-11-04
- Overwatch Visual Source Book, page 89
- 2017-06-26, Blizzard Answers Unsolved Mysteries of the Overwatch Universe | Ars Technica. YouTube, accessed on 2017-06-28
- Blizzcon 2017, Overwatch: Archives
- 2015-05-27, BlizzCon 2014 – Overwatch Origins Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-05-29
- 2016-04-22, The Story of Overwatch: Return of the 90s Shooter. YouTube, accessed on 2016-09-08
| Heroes in Overwatch|