The United Nations (UN) is a geo-political entity.
Story[edit | edit source]
Past History[edit | edit source]
During the Omnic Crisis, as the nations of Earth tried and failed to contain the omnics, the UN was busy forming an international taskforce named Overwatch. This small, experimental group would bring together the best and brightest from around the world to wage asymmetrical warfare against the robots. Overwatch succeeded, and the war came to an end.
Two decades after the end of the war, Overwatch was faced with a series of shocking allegations: negligence resulting in high-profile mission failures; corruption and mismanagement; weapons proliferation; human rights abuses; and more. A special UN committee launched a lengthy and highly secretive investigation into the claims, which led to the disbandment of the group.
In the year before Overwatch was disbanded, the UN was involved in a cover-up of the destruction of its Swiss headquarters, maintaining that there was no foul play behind this event. However, classified UN debriefings revealed that it was a result of a power struggle between Gabriel Reyes and Jack Morrison, two of Overwatch's key members.
Recent History[edit | edit source]
UN officials initially refused to comment on the string of attacks by Soldier: 76. After the incident at the Overwatch Museum, however, the UN released a statement, stating, "The United Nations has not authorized any Overwatch operations. The organization’s charter remains revoked." They did not answer further questions.
Following a number of high profile incidents involving Helix Security International, the UN granted Helix's request for additional funding to deal with rising threats; much to the dismay of those opposed to the increasing privatization of security following the end of Overwatch.
Known Members[edit | edit source]
- Gabrielle Adawe ((Former?) Under-secretary-general)
References[edit | edit source]
- 2015-07-07, Fading Glory: On the Trail of Jack Morrison. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-07-07
- "[BREAKING] Security breach reported at former Overwatch base in Colorado. Intruder's motives currently unknown." Twitter.
- 2015-05-24, Overwatch is Back: Uncertainty and Hope After UN Confirms Vigilante Activity, Play Overwatch.
- 2017-07-04, Talon Involvement Confirmed in Previous Attack on Helix Facility, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2017-07-04.