Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
- So, I'd really appreciate it if you stopped undoing my changes to the intro of Symmetra's story section. Changes I made, believing they were for the better. I'll explain my reasoning so we can hopefully come to an understanding.
- 1. removing the "though she dislikes killing" bit: Feels out of place in that particular section. I added this to the "A Better World" section instead, where it felt more appropriate since that's where it's actually from. Keeping it in the intro is quite redundant imo.
- 2. "despite the times" -> "but there are times": Since this section is more or less taken from her official bio, I made the change to bring it completely in line with that. In addition "despite the times" communicates something different. It implies that Symmetra is doing all of her actions for Vishkar, DESPITE her doubts, which indicates she is actively ignoring these doubts. "But there are times" more accurately communicates that Symmetra believes she is doing good, but her faith isn't unshakeable; there are moments where she actively questions whether what she is doing is right.
- 3. "she is confirmed to be autistic" -> "she is on the autism spectrum": The use of confirmed makes this an out-of-universe sentence, while the rest of the section is written in-universe. I changed it to autism spectrum to stick with the comic's wording, but I would not be opposed to changing it back to "autistic" since Jeff has used that wording.
- 4. "trouble socializing, dislike of crowds, an obsession with structured environments, and inability to empathize" -> "having trouble with social interactions, suffering from sensory overload and preferring environments that are structured and harmonious": Symmetra does not have trouble socializing, she's not a shut-in, so I changed it to be more accurate. What Symmetra has trouble with is social cues and what is and isn't appropriate in social situations (i.e. getting distracted by the crooked picture and momentarily pausing her rant; in general she is also quite blunt during her conversation with the mayor). Dislike of crowds is too broad and non-specific; Symmetra doesn't like crowds because there's too much going on (sounds, smells, etc.). Therefore, I believe "suffering from sensory overload" is a better way of phrasing it. The an obsession with structured environments was just rephrased to be consistent with the phrasing I used for the previous two, the meaning is still more or less the same. I removed "inability to empathize" because it seemed overly harsh, not just on Symmetra, but people that have autism in general. In Symmetra's case, it's probably true to some extent that she has trouble seeing things from others' perspective, but I wouldn't say she's unable to empathize at all.
- 5. removing "Symmetra herself believes she's on the autism spectrum": This came across as redundant, because Symmetra being autistic is already mentioned earlier within the same paragraph, and also kind of rude, as if it's a thing in her head or something she doesn't fully understand. Symmetra doesn't just believe she's on the autism spectrum, she IS on the autism spectrum.
- I genuinely believe all these changes I've made were for the better, so I would appreciate it if you'd at least explain why you undid all of it. Crookandcharlatan (talk) 08:52, 10 October 2017 (UTC)
- 1. It still feels out of place there, to me. I've done an attempt at rephrasing it and working it more smoothly into the paragraph.
- 2. Thanks.
- 3. This just reads really awkward to me. I don't see what's wrong with saying "Symmetra is autistic" or "Symmetra is on the autism spectrum" and then putting it in trivia or something that outright confirmation first came from a letter from Jeff. Regardless, we know the writers' intent was to show Symmetra as an individual with autism, so I don't see why a reference to out-of-universe sources is necessary there specifically.
Question about Hammond Zhang[edit source]
Hey, Hawki. I've been looking for where it's indicated that Hammond is Dr. Zhang's first name. I was inactive during the launch of Horizon Lunar Colony and I'm afraid I missed something obvious. Since you were the one who added Hammond Zhang, I was hoping you could let me know. Thanks! - TheModster (talk) 03:26, 14 December 2017 (UTC)
RE: Disambiguation pages[edit source]
- If a disambiguation page needs three or more entries to exist, then all of these should also be deleted for only having two entries each: Retribution, Nguyen (disambiguation), Recall (disambiguation) and Total Mayhem. - ✨Adipup✨ (talk) 15:25, 3 April 2019 (UTC)
Game Informer #108[edit source]
I have a question about the issue of Game Informer you listed on a couple Deadlock articles. From as far as I can tell, Issue 108 of Game Informer was released in 2002. Are you certain it's Issue 108? Not, say, Issue 308 released in December 2018 (a month after Reunion)? TenTonParasol (talk) 17:29, 6 April 2019 (UTC)