|"True self is without form."|
|Wandering Guru |
|Shambali Monastery, Nepal (formerly)|
|Feodor Chin (English)
Marc Perez (French)
- 1 Overview
- 2 Abilities
- 3 Strategy
- 4 Story
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Videos
- 8 Patch Notes History
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Zenyatta calls upon orbs of harmony and discord to heal his teammates and weaken his opponents, all while pursuing a transcendent state of immunity to damage.
Zenyatta is a potent offense-focused Support. He stands out from the other supports due to his incredible killing power: his Orb of Destruction and Orb of Discord can let him shred through even the sturdiest of Tanks with well aimed shots. While not as powerful a healer as Mercy, his Orb of Harmony and Transcendence abilities are more than enough to let him keep a team alive when used smartly. All of this power is counterbalanced by a severe lack of mobility. Unless Zenyatta is using his ultimate, he moves at a relatively slow pace, and has no abilities to speed him up. This makes him vulnerable to agile flankers or large amounts of incoming fire.
Weapons & Abilities
- Orb of Destruction: Zenyatta's primary weapon. The primary fire causes Zenyatta to shoot fast-moving orb projectiles at a reasonable rate, dealing damage to an enemy. The secondary fire is a charge ability: Zenyatta will gradually begin preparing up to five orbs, with the number of orbs increasing the longer he charges. He can let go of the secondary fire button at any time to release the stored orbs, firing them straight forward at his crosshairs, in a rapid burst. He will automatically fire his stored orbs if the secondary fire button is held down long enough.
- The small size of the orbs Zenyatta fires masks their incredible damage potential. Zenyatta can out-damage many Offense heroes if he is accurate with his shots.
- The orbs do have a small amount of travel time. As with other projectiles, lead your shots slightly so that they will hit moving targets.
- Use the secondary fire to ambush stationary targets like Bastion or Widowmaker. The sudden burst of orbs will usually kill them instantly, not giving them time to react.
- Orb of Discord: When activated, Zenyatta will place an Orb of Discord on the targeted enemy, causing them to take greatly increased damage from all sources. This ability automatically targets the enemy that is closest to Zenyatta's crosshairs. Orb of Discord is removed when the Zenyatta applies the Orb to a different target, loses line of sight for three seconds, or dies. Orb of Discord cannot be applied to targets who are behind a barrier.
- A powerful basic ability. It has no cooldown and can be applied as often as Zenyatta likes, greatly increasing the damage the target takes.
- Who you put this on usually depends on who the biggest threat to your team is at that moment. In general, Tanks like Winston or Reinhardt are prime targets. If your team is being harassed by a powerful Offense hero like Pharah, throw it on them and use Orb of Destruction to kill them, as they will take massive damage from your projectiles.
- Orb of Harmony: When activated, Zenyatta will place an Orb of Harmony on the targeted ally, causing them to slowly regenerate health over time. This ability automatically targets the ally that is closest to Zenyatta's crosshairs. Orb of Harmony is removed when Zenyatta applies the Orb to a different target, loses line of sight for three seconds, or dies.
- Orb of Harmony is not the strongest of heals, but it is still considerable, and it allows Zenyatta to turn his attention toward damaging enemies while still healing. Since it is not particularly strong, Zenyatta should prioritise healing to allies who have lower max health or are or closer to death, instead of tanks, as the latter will take very long to heal with Orb of Harmony (this does not mean to not heal your tank if they're dying.
- The Orb of Harmony will remain on the target for several seconds after they leave Zenyatta's line of sight. Take advantage of this by constantly ducking in and out of sight with them to refresh the duration while still avoiding enemy fire.
- Constantly swap the Orb between injured allies in order to keep everyone's Health topped up.
- Pharah can make great use of the Orb, as she usually maintains constant line of sight with Zenyatta while in the air.
- Transcendence (Ultimate): Zenyatta's Ultimate ability. When activated, Zenyatta becomes invulnerable to damage for several seconds and generates an aura around himself that rapidly heals any allies standing within it. Zenyatta cannot use any other weapons or abilities while Transcendence is active, though he can move at an accelerated rate. Zenyatta does still remain targetable, and so can be affected by knockbacks as normal, just not damaged.
- This is Zenyatta's only real defensive ability. Use Transcendence when you are being attacked and are near to your team, as it will keep both you and them alive.
- The healing from Transcendence is massive, able to easily outpace many Ultimates like Pharah's Barrage. Keep in mind that it will not keep an ally alive if they take a single packet of damage in excess of their maximum Health, such as from Tracer's Pulse Bomb.
- Because of Zenyatta's active role in combat, this Ultimate tends to charge quickly. Don't be afraid to use it if it will help your team to consistently win small skirmishes.
- Transcendence will not heal allies if they are not in line of sight or behind an enemy barrier.
- Zenyatta is a challenging Support to play. With an average health pool and no way to speed himself up or dodge attacks beyond moving erratically, he has the potential to be instantly killed by a wide variety of heroes (with Hanzo and Widowmaker being the most prominent). While his abilities are rather simple, his gameplay is not, requiring you to balance helping your team by dealing damage while staying alive so that Orb of Discord and Orb of Harmony remain active.
- Due to Orb of Harmony's low health regen rate, it is encouraged to play Zenyatta when you have another healer on your team (i.e. Mercy, Lúcio) or on a team that is prevalent in multiple healing abilities (e.g. Roadhog's Take A Breather, Soldier: 76's Biotic Field, etc.).
- Due to Orb of Destruction's lack of damage falloff, Zenyatta can be very powerful if played in a sniper position. Do be aware though that if you are too far away, you will not be able to use Orb of Harmony or Orb of Discord. Target enemies that struggle to deal with snipers such as Tracer, Reaper, Junkrat, Bastion and Torbjörn's turret (if you can outrange it). Also be aware that if someone moves behind you, you will die very quickly if caught off guard.
- As above; Zenyatta's projectiles are a very effective way of dealing with an enemy Bastion in Sentry mode. If the Bastion's teammates are not protecting him with a shield Zenyatta can place a Orb of Discord on the stationary Bastion and take him out alot more effectively than other ranged offensive heroes due to the lack of damage falloff. The lack of damage falloff coupled with Zenyatta's usual positioning of being behind his team, Bastion's high damage falloff with his Sentry minigun an enemy Bastion will do very little damage to you(Damage Falloff + Large bullet spread). This strategy can be used to "snipe" a stationary Bastion and remove the effective defensive ability he can bring to a teamfight.
- Try to position yourself so that you minimize the number of directions the enemy team can fire at you from. This is especially critical if the enemy team has a good Widowmaker, as a charged bodyshot will take off a large amount of your health. Keep a constant eye on nearby side routes and listen for the sounds of approaching flankers so that you can be prepared for them.
- Try to always stay at the back of your team to minimize the amount of damage you take. Your Orb of Harmony can heal targets who are far away from you, so long as you can continue to maintain line of sight with them, and your Orb of Destruction has no damage falloff (meaning it will deal full damage no matter how far away an enemy is). If you are being constantly harassed by flankers, however, it can be better to stay closer to a Tank like Reinhardt who can block their damage and drive them away from you.
- If an enemy flanker (such as Genji or Tracer) manages to get behind you, don't try to run; Zenyatta cannot outrun mobile heroes like them. Instead, hit them with Orb of Discord and move erratically while firing your Orb of Destruction at them. One headshot and one bodyshot from a Discord-empowered Orb of Destruction is enough to kill both Tracer and Genji, assuming they don't have bonus Health from Brigitte or Torbjörn.
- The majority of Zenyatta's Health is composed of shields. If you take damage, retreat into cover for a few seconds to allow it to regenerate.
- The autotargeting reticle from Orb of Discord can be useful when firing at distant enemies, as it will give you a general idea of their location. This is especially helpful if they are obscured by large particle effects (such as Hanzo's Dragonstrike). On top of that the reticle still shows through walls which can help you predict an enemy emerging from cover to shower them with an Orb Volley.
- Transcendence still allows you to be targeted by enemy abilities. Though they will deal no damage to you, they can still knock you back and away from your team, nullifying the healing on your allies. If up against enemies with strong knockbacks like Pharah or Roadhog, try to position yourself so that you will be flung into a corner or a nearby wall in order to stay near to your allies.
- Like Junkrat, Zenyatta can easily fire down a choke point and prevent easy movement through . His large clip size and projectile weapon can provide almost constant sustained fire.
- If an enemy is on the other side of a corner it's sometimes a good idea to use a charged shot to take them by surprise before they can react.
Zenyatta is an omnic monk who wanders the world in search of spiritual enlightenment. It is said that those who cross his path are never the same again. He believes that by forming people into relationships, the world can be healed, and a better society created. But, when necessary, he will fight to protect the innocent, be they omnic or human. The orbs he uses were hand-carved at the Shambali monastary and serve as a means to channel omnic energy.
A former member of the Shambali, Zenyatta disagreed with the group's approach. He believed that the way to repair the problems between humans and omnics was not through dogmatic teaching but through interpersonal connection and engagement. Ultimately, Zenyatta followed his own path. He chose to leave the monastery and wander the world, helping those he meets to overcome their personal struggles and find inner peace.
At some point either before or after leaving the monastery, he encountered Genji, who had left Overwatch and was conflicted with his nature as a cyborg. Though Genji initially rejected Zenyatta's wisdom, the benevolent omnic would not be deterred. In time, Zenyatta became his mentor, and under the monk's tutelage, Genji reconciled his dual existence as both man and machine. Zenyatta would later consider Genji to be one of his brightest pupils.
Zenyatta and Genji spent Christmas together in a monastery.
|Get 4 kills or assists with Zenyatta's Orb of Discord within 6 seconds in Quick or Competitive play.|
|Restore 1500 Health with a single use of Zenyatta's Transcendence in Quick or Competitive play.|
- The idea for Zenyatta came from a piece of omnic concept art.
- The healing aspect of his orbs and the chime-like sound they make may take inspiration from Baoding balls, also known as Chinese medicine balls, among other names. They are popular among advocates as a form of alternative medicine for stress relief and improving dexterity and strength in the hands.
- Zenyatta's name has been observed to be a combination of the word "Zen", which is the Japanese name for Chan Buddhism, and "Śūnyatā", which means "emptiness" in Pali, a Buddhist concept referring to the idea that the world is without a true essence or sense of self.
- It's also likely a reference to the The Police album Zenyatta Mondatta, considering his late counterpart's name is Mondatta.
- The name they share between Mondatta and Zenyatta, "Tekhartha," could play off of the name of the Buddha before he achieved nirvana, Siddhartha Gautama, and "Tek" pronounced like "Tech" as a play on the fact that they are robots.
- Zenyatta is the first hero to have his total hit points changed (from 50 Health/100 Shield to 50 Health/150 Shield) through a patch in July 19, 2016. This was followed by D.Va in September 1, 2016.
- Unlike all other heroes in the game Zenyatta has no footstep sounds, as he floats instead of walking.
- A Zenyatta Figma statue will go on sale before Q3 2019.
- A Zenytatta statue is available from the Blizzard store.
- Zenyatta is one of the first officially revealed Overwatch POP! vinyl with a skin, specifically the Cultist Zenyatta skin, it was released during Halloween Terror 2018.
Patch Notes History
For more information, see Patch Notes
November 15th, 2016
- Hero Balance Change
- Ultimate costs have been increased by 25% for all heroes
- Developer Comment
- Game-changing ultimate abilities were coming up a bit too frequently. This change helps keep them in check while still allowing them to be powerful.
October 11th, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a time calculation issue that was causing Zenyatta's “Rapid Discord” achievement to be more difficult than intended
September 30th, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a time calculation issue that was causing Zenyatta's “Rapid Discord” achievement to be more difficult than intended
September 1st, 2016
- General Updates
- When activating the "Needs healing" communication while targeting a teammate, Ana, Lúcio, Mercy, and Zenyatta will now tell allies to group up to receive healing. A marker will also appear above the player's head, allowing teammates to locate the healer more quickly.
- Hero Balance Updates
- Ultimates that consume the ultimate meter when activated will now drain the meter more quickly (.25 second instead of 1 second)
- Reverted a recent change that reduced the size of heroes' projectiles
- Most hero abilities will no longer interrupt quick melee attacks
- Ultimate abilities will now interrupt quick melee attacks
- Developer Comments
- Altering the size of projectiles in flight had too many unintended side effects to keep in the game, at least in its current form. We will continue watching this and make additional changes if necessary. We’re also making quick melee more consistent when interacting with enemy abilities.
- Orb of Discord
- The amount of damage amplified by a target with Orb of Discord has been decreased from 50% to 30%
- Orb of Destruction
- Damage has been increased from 40 to 46
- Developer Comments
- Zenyatta is in a far better place since the last update, but the strength of Orb of Discord has turned him into an almost mandatory pick. These changes reduce Orb of Discord's effectiveness, but his damage-dealing potential has been increased. The amount of damage that he delivers should feel largely unaffected by the change.
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug preventing overtime from being triggered while Zenyatta is using Transcendence
August 2, 2016
- User Interface
- Zenyatta's Transcendence speed increase is now noted on the Hero Details screen
July 19, 2016
- General Update
- Timing on Zenyatta's Rapid Discord achievement is more lenient
- Hero Balance Changes
- Base shields increased by 50 (now 50 Health/150 Shield)
- Primary fire weapon damage decreased from 45 to 40
- Alternate fire weapon damage increased from 35 to 40
- Orb of Discord and Orb of Harmony
- Projectile speed has been increased from 30 to 120
- Movement speed is now doubled upon activation
- Healing amount increased from 200 to 300 health per second
- Developer Notes
- While Zenyatta has never had the healing abilities of Lúcio or Mercy, he made up for it by dealing more damage. However, his lack of mobility and low health has meant he’s struggled to find a place in many games. To increase his effectiveness, we've made several changes, the biggest of which is an increased shield pool. This will allow him to go head-to-head with more enemies. The Orb of Harmony and Discord changes are also a quality of life change, helping Zenyatta move his orbs around and apply their effects more quickly. And lastly, we’ve increased Transcendence’s healing throughput. This ultimate was designed to be the most effective against sustained, high-damage fire and least effective against short, high-damage bursts (like D.Va’s or Junkrat's ultimates). But, due to the amount of healing it provided, there were times when it was possible for even sustained fire to overcome Transcendence’s output. We’ve made the heal powerful and also allowed Zenyatta to move around more quickly while it’s active.
June 21st, 2016
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause projectiles to hit Reinhardt instead of his Barrier Field in "High Bandwidth" Custom Games
- Reduced the chance for larger projectiles (i.e. Hanzo's arrows, Zenyatta's orbs) to hit targets around corners
- 2015-04-07, "Back in the booth.". Twitter. Accessed on 2016-05-18
- Zenyatta, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2014-11-24
- 2014-11-24, BlizzCon 2014 – Overwatch Unveiled Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-03-08
- Overwatch Visual Source Book, page 108
- Genji, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2015-11-07
- Overwatch, Zenyatta Quotes
- Tracer: Reflections
- 2015-08-08, GAMESCOM LIVESTREAM PANEL W/ THE DEVS. Blizzpro, accessed on 2015-08-22
- 2018-09-26, Zenyatta From Overwatch Gets His Own Figma. Game Informer, accessed on 2018-09-27
- 2018-09-28, Zenyatta Overwatch Figure Comes With All The Glowing Orbs. Kotaku, accessed on 2018-09-28
|Heroes in Overwatch|