|“||Better. Stronger. Faster. Smarter. What's next for humanity?||„|
|~ Tomorrow, reporting on omnics|
Background[edit | edit source]
Omnics are produced by omniums, automated robotics factories that were built with self-improving software algorithms which eventually became self-aware. As such, omnics are endowed with the capacity for free will, and according to the Shambali, with souls. Omnics, even the baseline humanoid model, have been described as being better, stronger, faster, and smarter than humans. However, they are susceptible to the effects of an EMP. Advanced AI programs known as god programs, such as Anubis, can forcibly take control of otherwise independent omnics and bend them to their will. Some omnics, if not all, possess a unique form of energy, dubbed "omnic energy," which has both destructive and restorative properties; Zenyatta's orbs were designed to channel this energy.
History[edit | edit source]
The omniums and their robot populations were originally created by Omnica Corporation to bolster manufacturing and create economic equality worldwide, but were later shut down after investigations uncovered evidence of corporate fraud. Thirty years ago the defunct omniums went rogue and churned out legions of militarized robots which attacked human cities in an event called the Omnic Crisis. The majority of their forces consisted of Bastion combat units. Ultimately the omnics were defeated.
Even a generation after the conflict, tensions between humans and omnics remain, though other types of robots remain common. Human-omnic relations are a hot topic in the world, with questions existing as to whether omnics actually possess rights, and what would happen if they received the right to vote. Tensions between humans and omnics have never been higher, particularly after the assassination of the omnic spiritual leader Tekhartha Mondatta. The state of affairs is mixed—in Russia, omnics continue to wage war against humans. In the United Kingdom, omnics are denied basic human rights, and riots have flared up in King's Row. In Junkertown, Australia, omnics are thrown into the Scrapyard, to be destroyed for the amusement of the crowds. In contrast, omnics live peacefully with humans in Numbani.
Known Omnics[edit | edit source]
- Bastion 
- Lynx Seventeen
- Tekhartha Mondatta
- Tekhartha Zenyatta
- Unnamed Omnic
Entertainers and Artists[edit | edit source]
- Omnic Colossus
- Unnamed squid drones
Misc Types[edit | edit source]
Fictional[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Omnics have a written language called "Omnicode." It can't be directly translated into English. It is an animated language, designed so that un-augmented humans would be unable to read it.
- Depending on the country, Omnics have voting rights. 
References[edit | edit source]
- 2015-05-27, Overwatch is Back: Uncertainty and Hope After UN Confirms Vigilante Activity. Blizzard Entertainment., accessed on 2016-5-27
- Zenyatta, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2014-11-24
- Rise and Shine
- 2014-11-24, BlizzCon 2014 – Overwatch Unveiled Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-03-10
- Overwatch: Pharah: Mission Statement
- Overwatch Visual Source Book
- 2015-07-07, Fading Glory: On the Trail of Jack Morrison. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2015-07-07
- 2015-11-24, BlizzCon 2014 – Overwatch Unveiled Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-03-03
- Bastion, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2014-11-24
- 2015-11-07, THE WORLD OF OVERWATCH. Blizzpro, accessed on 2015-11-17
- 2016-02-05, Overwatch Cinematic Teaser | "Are You With Us?". YouTube, accessed on 2016-05-04
- 2017-08-21, Junkertown | New Escort Map | Overwatch. YouTube, accessed on 2017-08-22
- 2015-08-08, GAMESCOM LIVESTREAM PANEL W/ THE DEVS. Blizzpro, accessed on 2015-08-22
- Michael Chu on Twitter - accessed on 2016-06-03
- 2017-03-03, Michael Chu Battle.net Forums. Accessed on 2017-03-08
- 2017-05-16, Overwatch Lore - Michael Chu Reddit A.M.A Summary! | Hammeh. YouTube, accessed on 2017-05-18
- 2018-11-06, Michael Chu's Twitter, Twitter. Accessed on 2018-11-06.